Spotted some Locust...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clemsonfor

Minister of Fire
Dec 15, 2011
Greenwood county, SC
Going to cut it today after work. Its along the road across the steet from my office. I say it and its dead standing, not sure how long? There is only the main leaders but as rot resistant as this stuff is i have no idea how long its been dead? My guess just a year or 2 at most. The smaller tree has no top(only 25ft or so), and is about 6-8" DBH. The larger tree is maybe close to 10"s (maybe 40 foot to the top). So it will be a small load but i am excited this is the first locust i have cut and really the first i have seen or noticed in this area. I was looking up for dead tops along the road and saw it, then looked at bark and was like locust, but then not really seeing any in the area i was like cottonwood (i know pretty bad for a forester), then though no way barks no where close.

Went on another recon yesterday to check um out again and the logistics of getting them down, and was like yep locust then i saw a live one about 50 feet away which confirms my original thought. Anyway should be a good quick trip and not more than 1 mile outta my way on the way home.

Reactions: Nixon
Going to cut it today after work. Its along the road across the steet from my office. I say it and its dead standing, not sure how long? There is only the main leaders but as rot resistant as this stuff is i have no idea how long its been dead? My guess just a year or 2 at most. The smaller tree has no top(only 25ft or so), and is about 6-8" DBH. The larger tree is maybe close to 10"s (maybe 40 foot to the top). So it will be a small load but i am excited this is the first locust i have cut and really the first i have seen or noticed in this area. I was looking up for dead tops along the road and saw it, then looked at bark and was like locust, but then not really seeing any in the area i was like cottonwood (i know pretty bad for a forester), then though no way barks no where close.

Went on another recon yesterday to check um out again and the logistics of getting them down, and was like yep locust then i saw a live one about 50 feet away which confirms my original thought. Anyway should be a good quick trip and not more than 1 mile outta my way on the way home.

Good deal ! You'll enjoy burning that on a really cold night .
Oh yeah .............. No Pics ................ didn't happen ! ;<)

Man i thought you guys were exadurating on how hard it is on chains. But your not kidding!!!! Those things are tough. I was seeing sparks in the daylight, i usually will see them at night on things like oak and hickory but wow! Im glad i had a spare chain that was basically junk but i sharpen'd it one last time on the grinder and put it in the bucket as backup before i tossed it. It took it to just get what i had in the big stuff to cut up!!! It got so dull i was wasting my time, i left the top branches less than 3"s as they look rotted like and noone will grap them as they will think there all doaty.. ssshhh!

Sorry but there cell pics so not great but better than nothing. The pic with the truckis the whole load.

Attachments

• 1030121659b.jpg
    1030121659b.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 142
  • 1030121659b.jpg
    1030121659b.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 163
  • 1030121700a.jpg
    1030121700a.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 189
  • 1030121739a.jpg
    1030121739a.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 148
Not a bad score, Id be doing cartwheels too if I could find some locust around here.

Oh forgot to add some of the test spits that i split and tested MC on are reading at 25% or less!! I will split this stuff and have it on standby this winter if i dont need it i will wait till next year!!

Nice haulin' setup !
Congrats on the score- fun stuff to split.

Thanks i use to cut and load into my shortbed K10 chevy. Then i realized it uses twice the gas and hauls no more wood than this setup. Granted i am way slower and underpowered in this than the chevy but it gets it done. Now the chevy and this trailer is the real deal!! I figure the way i sit with the ranger and a fully loaded trailer i can get better than a half cord easy!

Reactions: osagebow
Many of the locusts been bent down in my orchard have bent down threatening my fruit trees . how do I cut them down as I cut some they sprung up scaring the sh** t out of me . How do I proceed. from the top or the bottom. New to this!

i cut those type trees from the bottom, verry slowly with saw streached out as far as possible. You may be able to cut the top out of some enough for it to stand back up straight, then cut it down normal, still be carefull.

Many of the locusts been bent down in my orchard have bent down threatening my fruit trees . how do I cut them down as I cut some they sprung up scaring the sh** t out of me . How do I proceed. from the top or the bottom. New to this!

I've done it both ways. My preference is from the top if possible but not always possible. Just watch out as they can spring pretty fast!

Nice! BL is about the best fuel that I have dealt with.

Status
Not open for further replies.