Spray Foam Insulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I priced out that Tiger foam and it is almost as expensive as the pro guy. If I want to match the r- value I was quoted it would cost more. Granted we pay more for Tiger foam up here in Canada but it is the bloody shipping that kills it. Outrageous shipping costs.

I was thinking of spraying 1" on the garage ceiling (living space above) and ductwork to seal everything up. Could I then use Fiberglass bats below? I would then have two vapour barriers though. The six mil poly for the glass and the foam acts as a vapour barrier by itself. Not sure that would work?

we had the exterior 2X6 walls filled with closed cell eurythane foam. I don't know what the R value is (>30 i think) but it sure is warm when it hits -80. It doesnt settle over time and as mentioned before, it provides the vapor barrier. It was expensive and we were looking at it from the standpoint of saving $$$ on heating. Well I had a Kozyheat fireplace put in too, and now I don't think I'll be spending much on heat regardless of the insulation. You have to look at it both ways I guess. They spray foamed a 2200 square foot home with attached 2 car garage in less than a day. It goes on very fast and you do need to keep moving.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.