spray foam on owb supply lines

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bruce

Nov 20, 2005
long pond pa
has anyone done this for there supply lines?
i have seen prices all over the place for insulated lines averaging 12 per foot for the better ones
my thought was to buy pex and get a diy spray foam kit and hit it with closed cell foam

any thoughts or idea's?

search spray foam and read on!!! Lots of info. If I had to do it all again I would have my lines spray foamed.

Rob

taxidermist said:
search spray foam and read on!!! Lots of info. If I had to do it all again I would have my lines spray foamed.

Rob

Are you not happy with your Logstor pipe?

gg

As far as insulation goes yes it works fine. But when i bought my system i was sold 1" pex and I would never use 1" for my underground again.

Rob

taxidermist said:
As far as insulation goes yes it works fine. But when i bought my system i was sold 1" pex and I would never use 1" for my underground again.

Rob

Is it 1" or the Logstor 32mm?

My Logstor is listed as 1" or 32mm the id is actually 1.03". That is basically 1-1/4" pex size.

I know what you are saying about flow. Larger size would give you a lot more options for storage locations and circulator size.

Outdoor furnace supply now sells 1-1/2" that is wrapped in a drain tile. I would consider that and then have the drain tile sprayed with a couple inches of foam.

gg

goosegunner said:
taxidermist said:

Rob

My Logstor is listed as 1" or 32mm the id is actually 1.03". That is basically 1-1/4" pex size.

I know what you are saying about flow. Larger size would give you a lot more options for storage locations and circulator size.

Outdoor furnace supply now sells 1-1/2" that is wrapped in a drain tile. I would consider that and then have the drain tile sprayed with a couple inches of foam.

gg
Logstor says 1" or 32mm is 1.032 ID I read that as 1 inch 32thousandts? 1 1 id is 1.28 which is a hair bigger than 1.25(1 1)

the od of the 1" is 1.26 and the ID of 1 1 (1.28) is almost the same size as the od of 1"

taxidermist said:
goosegunner said:
taxidermist said:

Rob

gg
Logstor says 1" or 32mm is 1.032 ID I read that as 1 inch 32thousandts? 1 1 id is 1.28 which is a hair bigger than 1.25(1 1)

the od of the 1" is 1.26 and the ID of 1 1 (1.28) is almost the same size as the od of 1"

1-1/4" Wirsbo hepex has an id of 1.05

I think you are comparing it to Logstor 1-1/4" which is larger. The standard 1-1/4 is usually around 1.0something.

gg

gg

Very popular source of confusion this difference between pipe names and actual size.

My understanding is that "pipe" is controlled by the I.D. size and named accordingly.

PEX (and some other products like copper 'pipe' ) is actually "tubing" and as such is controlled by the O.D.

Why there are some PEX products that don't conform to this scheme is a puzzle to me and this would be a great time for some who actually knows about this to straighten us all out.

DaveBP said:
Very popular source of confusion this difference between pipe names and actual size.

My understanding is that "pipe" is controlled by the I.D. size and named accordingly.

PEX (and some other products like copper 'pipe' ) is actually "tubing" and as such is controlled by the O.D.

Why there are some PEX products that don't conform to this scheme is a puzzle to me and this would be a great time for some who actually knows about this to straighten us all out.

It seems like pipe would be controlled by the OD since schedule 80 and schedule 40 pipes of the same nominal size are threaded with the same dies.

The relationship between PEX nominal size and ID is mystery to me as well. But at least some versions of PEX all use the same fittings for the same nominal size regardless of the OD, as with PEX-Al-PEX and regular PEX. The PEX-Al-PEX has to be stripped down on the outside to accept normal crimp collars, but the ID conforms to normal fitting sizes.

Here's a nice reference for finding truth-in-diameter and for figuring out how PEX of various nominal sizes will perform:

http://www.viega.net/cps/rde/xbcr/en-us/TD-PF_0411ViegaPEXUltra.pdf

http://www.viega.net/cps/rde/xbcr/prototype/TD-PFFP-1207_FostaPEX.pdf

goosegunner said:
taxidermist said:
goosegunner said:
taxidermist said:

Rob

gg

1-1/4" Wirsbo hepex has an id of 1.05

I think you are comparing it to Logstor 1-1/4" which is larger. The standard 1-1/4 is usually around 1.0something.

gg

gg
Yes Logstore has its own fittings you have to use so therefore it is different than other brands of pex

Status
Not open for further replies.