Spray foam Today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
AFA 2" enough? It will stop any air currents from robbing heat from storage. I would recommend adding more in the form of fiberglass or cellulose after the foam has cured, do you plan on having an enclosure for the tanks? BTW foam should be min 2lb density. 2" of foam should yield R15+/- depending on chem mix & installer as well as site conditions, temp, MC of air etc. Biggest + is shutting down those btu robbing air currents.

Frozen Canuck said:
AFA 2" enough? It will stop any air currents from robbing heat from storage. I would recommend adding more in the form of fiberglass or cellulose after the foam has cured, do you plan on having an enclosure for the tanks? BTW foam should be min 2lb density. 2" of foam should yield R15+/- depending on chem mix & installer as well as site conditions, temp, MC of air etc. Biggest + is shutting down those btu robbing air currents.

I will be framing the tanks in at a later date and maybe blowing in some fiberglass roughly 1o" around

Sounds good Huff. That extra 10" should give you an R value that will keep most of the btu's where you want them. Depending on how close you are to the ocean, MC of the air, fiberglass may be the best choice as cellulose does not like to get wet or even moist.

You will find that a solid 2" will make a huge difference. If you can afford it have him put 3" on it. My tank is vertical, so I sprayed 3-5" on the top half and 1-2" on the bottom half. Works great! That closed cell spray foam is awesome. Expensive, but awesome. The other insulation you add will be great as well. But that initial, outstanding seal of the spray foam is what you want. I am going to spray one more kit on my tank myself when I have another $275 I can spare for that. I will try to even it out then so that I have 5-6" on the whole tank.

Be sure to have the tank warm.

I am going to spray one more kit on my tank myself when I have another $275 I can spare for that.

That was not accurate. I just remembered that sounded cheap. I had $375 into the Froth Pak spray foam kit. Was able to get 1-2 inches on the bottom half and anywhere from 2-5 on the top half. That variation shows you that it was my first time ever spraying anything. :lol: Hopefully I will get a little more even distribution the next time I spray it.

How did it go today Huff? $300 for two inches applied by a contractor sounds like a decent price. The contractor I used for my garage a few years back said he really doesn't go to far if the job is not $1000.00 or more. It just isn't worth it for him with the big new mobile trailer he has for his system. Looks expensive to buy a set up like that.

Yup tank was aboot 90 °F when sprayed, he applied it anywhere from 2" to 4" . I added another 62 gal. exp. tank too.

Attachments

• DSC_0280.jpg
    DSC_0280.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 337
  • DSC_0281.jpg
    DSC_0281.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 330
  • DSC_0282.jpg
    DSC_0282.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 347
He had a hard time in the middle at the back , he had to crawl in the little hole between the two rims poor guy was claustrophobic he we was squirming like a stuck pig under there and in inadvertently sprayed a lot of extra foam :lol: . I was standing by to yank him out. He said he would bring a young skinny guy for the other one.

I sprayed my tank in my garage with 1.5" closed cell, made a huge difference, the garage was freekin hot with that giant radiator in there. Now the radiant does its job. have sprayed a few (500 gal) with up to 6" closed cell, a little overkill.

Gary_602z said:
Since a lot of his cost is in his time,setup and equipment what would he haved charged to spray the other tank at the same time?

Gary

He only lives a couple miles away, he quotes by the square foot, and thickness . He has a cargo trailer with all the equiptment in it .

Status
Not open for further replies.