Spray for Spider?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bezalel

Nov 19, 2005
The recent thread about spider got me a little worry. What would be a good & safe chemical to spray my woodpile to keep spider population under control? I read recently that some product named "Seven" might take care of this. True? And where can I find it? Thanks!!!

Spiders are kinda hard to kill ......... They walk "over" most anthing you put down and it doesnt bother them. In the house we "fog" inside once a year in the fall cuz that when they like to start to come in. We dont have too many spiders in the wood pile so its not been a problem. We just get rabbits under the pallets. Good question on wood piles. I'd like to hear about what really works.

Well, that website says they use Permetherin. Just go to any home center and fine a spray (Ortho or similar) permetherin based spray. Permetherin is quite effective on arachnids (spiders) and is the only known chemical to be effective in controling ticks. If you don't believe me...look it up on Lymenet. We have Lyme problems here is spades, so I do work to control the problem. I spray the wood piles, but I'm not nuts about it. Once it gets cold, they go away.

Snakes, spider bees, oh my! If I tried to reduce the spider count locally I'd have to bomb several acres. By and large these critters are your friends and part of the balance of nature. Give them a little respect and they won't bother you. There are bigger things out there to fear - like politicians!

BeGreen said:
Snakes, spider bees, oh my! If I tried to reduce the spider count locally I'd have to bomb several acres. By and large these critters are your friends and part of the balance of nature. Give them a little respect and they won't bother you. There are bigger things out there to fear - like politicians!

Unless the "spider" is a tick. These critters are NOT anyones friend.

BeGreen said:

Don't forget the bureaucrat and other robots that have no imagination......jest my 2 cents

Beacuse I heat with wood, the risk of wood boring insect infestation is much higher. I have my house treated by Orkin quarterly. It is money well spent, in my opinion. Even with this treatment, it is nearly impossible to ride yourself of spiders. They quite litrelly walk over most pestacides. Like BeGreen says, most spiders are harmless. However there are Brown Recluse spiders. They are especially nasty. Just look for the "Fiddle back". If you see one leave it alone. The problem is the high occurance of these in wood piles. (They are drawn to the cooler, higher moisture in wood piles.)

BikeMedic said:
Beacuse I heat with wood, the risk of wood boring insect infestation is much higher. I have my house treated by Orkin quarterly. It is money well spent, in my opinion. Even with this treatment, it is nearly impossible to ride yourself of spiders. They quite litrelly walk over most pestacides. Like BeGreen says, most spiders are harmless. However there are Brown Recluse spiders. They are especially nasty. Just look for the "Fiddle back". If you see one leave it alone. The problem is the high occurance of these in wood piles. (They are drawn to the cooler, higher moisture in wood piles.)

I have a fiddle back that got into the speedo of my bike. It built a web and lived there for about a week.
I was a little nervous seeing him there but he was behind the glass. He finally died and is still there held in place by his web. I wonder if his poison is still viable.

Post-mortum the venum shouldn't be active. At least if the protein in the venum has been "dried up" you don't have anything to worry about. (This comes from an entomologist (sp) at my station house.) But none-the-less. What a cool find!

BeGreen said:

I agree. I like the saying that you are never more than 3 feet from a spider.

The Brown Recluse is a scary proposition for sure, but do we exterminate everthing to eliminate one threat? If we exterminated everything in Detroit, will we have killed all of the murderers? Well, yea. Their is more good than bad.

I'm not gonna mess with my wood pile until the first hard frost, then it will be safe.

chlordane.

berlin said:
chlordane.

Do you have a South American connection or is that last glass bottle of Ortho still around?

DDT has been banned in this country for some time. And it did work better than anything I have ever seen!

actually i was being rather sarcastic, however i do have many glass bottles of chlordane and many, many steel containers, never opened of DDT. haven't used them in years, but should i need to i could wipe out termites and spiders for 1/2 mile radius. DDT doesn't worry me much, but chlordane makes me a little nervous.

Now that makes you want to just be friends with the little darlins after all. doesn't it? I use moth ballls poured into the confined spaces on my boat keeps those big grey wood spiders I hate so much away. Beyond that we don't use much of any insecticide unless its outside and as little as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.