Spray paint vs brush on

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you can do a good job with either, as long as you use "Stove Bright" or other good quality STOVE PAINT - not regular paint, or even "BBQ paint" or other "High Temp" paints - it should specifically say that it's for wood stoves.

However I think you wil get a better job with less effort doing it with the spray bomb cans.

Gooserider

Enamel paint never looks good using a brush You will always see brush marks Its the nature of the beast. Ever see a car painted with a paint brush? If you have, the end results look like a 5 year old did the paint job. Yes paint can be spread with a paint brush, but you may not like the results

A spray can is better (by far). If you try to hurry the job yow Will get runs but, it's not the end of the world. A few sheets of 400-600 wet or dry sand paper will make the runs dissapear and a few LIGHT coats will cover more spray paint will blend these in. I find a hair dryer is a good source for helping with the drying.
Mike

Never seen a car painted with a brush,I've seen a few here done with a roller;it leaves that nice stucco, orange-peel texture(red-neck special) :)

Titan said:
Never seen a car painted with a brush,I've seen a few here done with a roller;it leaves that nice stucco, orange-peel texture(red-neck special) :)

i was told that the old cars like the 20's use to paint with a brush but sanded afterwards. those old cars had a nice shine.

With steel stoves, no doubt a spray is better - I also use spray for cast stoves, although a brush will work somewhat better than with steel because cast has lots of pores and dimples which will make the brush strokes invisible.

At our store, we sold almost nothing other than spray - takes a bit of practice not to end up painting the hearth or wall (when repainting inside), but it can be done - better a few light coats than one heavier one.

Status
Not open for further replies.