Spraying Wood Processes area

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dajolu

Nov 27, 2023
New York
I found a tick in my hair a few nights ago.. I think it may have come from where I have been processing my wood. I have a lot more oak to go through and I am in the middle of building a small wood shed in the area. I treated my clothes with some Permethrin but wonder if I should spray the entire area with something as well to try to keep the ticks away. Any thoughts on what I should use?

Permethrin on hat too. Shoes, socks, pants, t shirt, long sleeve shirt, and gloves if you use them.
Spring is aggressive tick time.

Don't know about spraying area, but if u do i think permethrin is really the only thing that effectively treats ticks. (could be wrong though)

This might help

Last edited:
Reactions: Dajolu
You can spray the area Permethrin or scatter Bifenthrin granules. There are other products out there that disrupt the lifecycle as well that you can spray/scatter.

Note these will kill more than just ticks. If you have any beneficial insects/plants around the area like pollinators, be careful.

I did not mention that I was not wearing the treated cloths when I was working a few days ago. I will make sure I wear them now. Did a pair of pants, jacket, shoes. I will treat a T-Shirt, Hat and Socks.

Reactions: bigealta
Its more of a long term strategy, but if your processing area is used year after year, tick tubes will help to treat a major vector, mice.

Reactions: sneefy and Dajolu
Its more of a long term strategy, but if your processing area is used year after year, tick tubes will help to treat a major vector, mice.
Oh wow, never knew those existed. Will check them out. I plan on using the area year after year and I have seen mice in the area. May also try those tubes around my house.