Spring and Axle Specs to haul wood in this trailer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RegencyNS

Feb 13, 2008
Atlantic Canada
I have an 8x4 trailer with 3.5 foot tall sides. It is a strong triler but recently I have noticed that the springs are getting weak. I would like to upgrade the springs and axles so as to increase the payload and work with new bearings. I am trying to decide whether to go with a 2000 lbs axle/spring assembly or to jump to the 3500 lbs axle/spring assembly. The vehicle doing the towing is a Ford Escape with a 3500 lbs tow rating. I figure the trailer could hold 8x4x2= 64 square feet of wood- at the most. That would be .5 cords. Using this calculator on the net, http://www.csgnetwork.com/logweight.html, That would equal 2550 lbs. Very close to the 2000 lbs capacity. There is a rather big money difference between the 2000 and 3500 lbs axle/spring combos. Do you think I will be alright with the 2000 lbs axle\springs?

I would go with the 3500# setup. You calculated the weight of the wood but did not add the weight of the trailer which will add more weight on the springs and axle.

shawnmd said:
I have an 8x4 trailer with 3.5 foot tall sides. It is a strong triler but recently I have noticed that the springs are getting weak. I would like to upgrade the springs and axles so as to increase the payload and work with new bearings. I am trying to decide whether to go with a 2000 lbs axle/spring assembly or to jump to the 3500 lbs axle/spring assembly.

If it was mine, I wouldn't even consider the 2000 lb. axle if it's a single axle trailer. What does the trailer empty weight? Probably close to 1000 lbs. which would leave you a puny 1000 lb payload rating.

Also keep in mind that weight ratings on axles are figured along side estimated life. Some 2000 lbs. axle can be run all day long with 4000 lbs. on them and some won't last an hour. It all goes by the size of the bearings and is also the reason why cheap mobile home axles aren't worth using for long use. They are designed to be used once or twice and then taken out of of service.

Just for reference, my trailer is a tandem axle. Has 16" tires and a 13,000 load total capacity - but it weighs 3000 pounds empty. Thus has a safe payload of 10,000 lbs. It is overbuilt with huge wheel bearings.

3500lb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Definitely go heavy - the tire ratings alone will be a big difference. Also, make sure that the 3500 axles have brakes. Also, hauling about 2500 lbs with a ford escape is definitely feasible, but I would highly recommend brakes on the trailer, and a brake controller for the escape. Pulling it is easy, stopping it is a little different!

Axles, brakes, and wheels/tires should be easily found for about $400 total. Brake controller another $100, plus a little time to install/wire. For about $500 you have a heavy-duty trailer that can haul (and stop) your wood safely...

Good luck!

I wouldn't put a 1000lb or 2000lb axle/hub/bearing set on any trailer, frankly. There is no meaningful increase in purchase price, and parts for the 3500lb assembly can be sourced anywhere in a pinch.

As computeruser said 3500lb axles are way, way more common and parts are always readily available. 2000lb axles really are not much good for any kind of real towing. Check your tires as well, e range(3500+lbs) bias ply tires are cheap.

moosetrek said:
Go for the 10K axles, air brakes, and 22" tires you'll be all set:)
Is that air over hydraulic or straight air from his onboard compressor?(Ford Escapes are equipped with air brakes as a standard feature....right)?

I was thinking the hydraulic, but the onboard compressor would work too. I believe it's the Ford Escape option package that includes the Jake brake and the dual stacks... (that would be a sight to see!)

Status
Not open for further replies.