Spring Chimney Cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
Looks like I'm done burning for the season. I have 1 face cord left, burned just under 3 full cords for the year. Such a nice day today, I decided to clean the chimney, new stove, and pipe. I have been wondering how the new cat stove would compare to old stove as far as chimneys go. After 1 1/2 months of burning, the 22' chimney was pretty clean except the last couple feet. Just about a quart of flakey crusty creosote after the sweep. The stove pipe was pretty clean, but noticed some dust around some seems. Must be sucking some air. Next year I'll try some stove cement between the seems. All in all the chimney looks a little better burning the Fireview over the Homestead, but not much. Probably only needs cleaning once a year, but I'll probably do it twice.

I say things are working out real good. You are using dry wood and your stove and use of it, are where you want to be. good job

Same here, I decided to do the spring cleaning, and also pull the insert and check the smoke chamber, damper area, and fireplace enclosure. Thanks to Elk helping me correct a potential disaster, I've noticed a complete change of creosote build up. I must admit that upon his advice I clean the chimney a couple times during the burning season, but overall the entire chimney, smoke chamber, and damper area are 100 percent better. Have been stocking up on wood, during the season, and now have just under 4 cord stacked and seasoning for the fall.

Temps here will dip into the 50's here on Monday, so I may have one last burn.

Will clean it up at the end of next week..... can't wait to see what I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.