Spring Cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

marinecorpsvet

Feb 11, 2012
Central Kentucky
Got a 5500m, have burned about 1.75 tons this winter, no problems, house is toasty. Spring is about here and when I go to shut it down for the summer, need to give it a good cleaning. Any tips or suggestions? I usually take my OAK and vent pipes off for the summer, and block the holes. What about the stove?

Clean out all the ash traps in the stove, use a leaf blower on suck to really clear things out.

Be sure the stove door is open while sucking it out.
Open the mechanical cabinet and vacuum out any dust dirt and such, also vacuum off any dust/lint thats accumulated on the blower motor air vent ports.

A computer duster can can help to blow the motors out.

Lay an old towel over the convection air vents (where the heat comes out) then start the blower fan, and while the fan is running, blow out the fan assembly.

The squirrel cage fans do collect lots of crud.

You really dont need to unhook everything, just make sure there is a screen over the Oak and the Exhaust to prevent bees, birds and other critters from setting up housekeeping in there.

Lube the motors (if its required)

You can bail out the hopper if you like, but it is not necessary.

Pretty much it.

Snowy

Status
Not open for further replies.