spring cleaning ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevebass4

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2006
Franklin MA
so i plan to clean the chimney in the spring

what about the insert

i did notice a bunch of dust on top of the rock wool that's on top if the top plate (for a lack of the proper term) but to remove that from my QF2100i I would have to remove the fire brick and I don’t need / want to do that

so should I just move the insert outside and use compressed air to clean the secondary tubes and vacuum out everything else

Save your back and use a shop vac with a long hose.........leave the vac outside and run the hose through a window or door.

This way there is no way of dust in your home. And if the vac is powerful enough it will suck most of the dust out from in between the bricks and everything else.

Robbie

Robbie said:
Save your back and use a shop vac with a long hose.........leave the vac outside and run the hose through a window or door.

This way there is no way of dust in your home. And if the vac is powerful enough it will suck most of the dust out from in between the bricks and everything else.

Robbie

Using a shop vac for ashes is ok but just remember, the life of the vac motor is dependant
on the condition of the dry filter bag so make sure you use a new filter bag & only use it twice
for ashes, then replace the bag.

I never see anything eat up a vac motor faster than ashes,not even vacuming sand.

If you have a new filter bag, you don't need to put the vac outside as the new bag will stop all the ash from leaving the canister.

I do exactly what Robbi does, it works perfectly

i actually think an old filter is better on a shopvac for ash. a new filter lets more particles through i would think.... i can actuall see through a new filter but a used filter i can not.
if i use an old filter i get almost no 'blow out' because the filter is not as permiable for the ash to get through, into the motor and blow back out the top.

I dont know what you guys are talking about. My shop cav filter is a cannister

Adirondackwoodburner said:
I dont know what you guys are talking about. My shop cav filter is a cannister

but it has a permiable cloth to let the air pass right? it filters the air and vaccccuuummmed stuff.
my filter is a big cloth that lays over the motor end and clips in.
eernest seems to have a bag.
in all cases it keeps and or catches the 'stuff' before it gets to the motor/propeller/ and out the exhaust.

may very well have that capability, but I have never used it..The vac is only about three years old

Status
Not open for further replies.