Spring Cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DexterDay

Well I have been at it for 2 days. 4 hrs yesterday and 4 hrs tonight. Gonna paint the inside of the firebox this year, but cant do it, till the pregnant Wife leaves tomorrow. I got the burn-pot and top baffle plates painted outside. Will post a Final pic of it all painted and clean tomorrow(With log-kit/only time of year its used).
Here are a few for now of the progress. Took A LOT more TIME than I normally do. Only because I am looking to sell the Quad for a "Multi-Fuel" stove this year. Or possibly the Fahrenheit Endurance and put the Quad downstairs with the "New" Englander 30-NC. Either way. Here is the progress. Took all the motors out, cleaned, lubed and reinstalled. Hopper has been waxed and polished. Everything has been scraped and scrubbed. Replaced door gasket and ignitor. Some new paint on, but more to come tomorrow. Hope all the pics come out "Right-side-up". I hate uploading pics from my phone. But its a lot easier than the PC.

Attachments

• Back of Stove  Motors Off.jpg
    Back of Stove Motors Off.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 1,086
  • Burnpot.jpg
    Burnpot.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 1,108
  • Cleaning Day.jpg
    Cleaning Day.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 1,053
  • Comb Blower.jpg
    Comb Blower.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 1,079
  • Convection Blower.jpg
    Convection Blower.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 1,062
  • Door Gasket-New.jpg
    Door Gasket-New.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 1,040
  • A New Coat.jpg
    A New Coat.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 1,089
  • Clean Hopper.jpg
    Clean Hopper.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 1,026
Looking good! Youve got yourself quite the project there. Cant wait to see what it looks like when you finish!

All done. Burnpot looks Brand new now. Looks so Good, I wanna fire it up right now.

Attachments

• Almost%20There.jpg
    Almost%20There.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 811
  • Almost%20Looks%20New%20Again.jpg
    Almost%20Looks%20New%20Again.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 799
  • All%20Done.jpg
    All%20Done.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 826
  • Done-till%20next%20year.jpg
    Done-till%20next%20year.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 789
Looks good. Let us know how the painted burn pot works out after you fire it up. What kind of paint is that?

The paint wont last at all.. Quadrafire stoves all come painted black on the inside from the factory. The black quickly burns off. I wish it stayed that clean all the time. But its a few years old and figured that she deserved it. Been a Great Stove. May be nearing the end of its life with me. I really want a Englander 10-CPM or an Enviro Omega. Both of those "Multi-Fuel" stoves are great performer's with Anything that you can make a pellet out of (Paper, Cardboard, Grass, Dogfood, etc). I want the option to burn "whatever". That is why I picked up the Englander 30-NC (Woodstove). Been Cuttin/Splittin/Stackin Wood the last few weeks. Getting wood for "Free" is Great (Added cost of splitter, chainsaws, time, 2-cycle, etc) but its really not all free when you factor your time and equipment. But it is ALWAYS gonna be cheaper than oil.
I have been keeping our heating under $1,000 a year with just pellets. Compared to $4,000 with Propane. This year should be a little cheaper with the Wood. I have a Fireplace, but only use it during December and January amd only burned around a cord a year. My home is a 70 long Ranch.... The Ultimate goal is put an insert (Wood or Pellet) in the fireplace, which is on the Far end of the house and move the Freestanding pellet stove that in the dining room (Exact center of house) and move it over to the family room which is closer to the other end of the house (Bedroom side). Keeping the Woodstove in the basement. The area the woodstove is in, is Quarantined off to area that is only around 800-900 sq ft. That area is directly underneath the 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms in the house. Hoping to get some radiant heat through the floor. If not we have a kitty door on the basement door (one end of house) and a laundry chute that I made, which is in the hallway (other side of house) to all 3 bedrooms (don't wanna put any natural draft vents in floor). This is one way to keep the natural convection of heat from the upstairs to the basement, without violating any codes. I could blast holes in the floor, but if I ever decided to sell this house (doubt it) or if anything ever happened (Fire), I doubt that the insurance co. would like the "Heat Holes" I made in the floor. ...

Hope that answered your question about the "Black Burn-Pot".........LOL............. Cheers......... I gotta go to bed....

Status
Not open for further replies.