Spring handles, straight, bent, and replacements?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WeldrDave

Feeling the Heat
Nov 14, 2012
New Jersey
Hello all,
Coaly or anyone please shed some light and wisdom!
I'm in the middle of completely restoring my baby bear, "pictures soon" and the old chrome spring handle is not exactly chrome any more. Does anybody sell leftovers, new ones, NOS, or do we just paint them as best we can and make them look nice.
Next question, My grandma bear, and baby bear has the spring handle facing you when your looking at the stove, basically an "S" bend, but my mama bear's handle is straight.... ?? The baby and the mama are about the same years, 77-79, square door. Some one clue me in please, can't quite figure this?

Thanks oh great stove Gods!
Dave

Woodman's part # RH-LDN is the nickel replacement spring handle.
RH-LDB is the brass replacement handle.
They are 3 1/2" long for 1/2" shank.
The early stainless tighter wound spring and chrome ball are no longer available.

The door handle is not shown on 1977 prints. There is a seperate page drawing for the door, the door seals, and door wedge. So I assume fabricators made their own length from 1/2" rod until a specific size and shape was given in a later revised drawing.

Mama is probably older. Ads as late as October 1977 show only straight handles.
Ads from 1979 show the bent handles. Seems they started during '78. This was the same time the stainless spring was changed to the common plated version. 1978 was also the first year for XL and Goldilocks models that had the bent handles. This phased out the straight handle. Inserts only had bent, as well as Goldi,Teddy and Honey. (except for the later single door Honey Bear)

Here's an exception with a bent handle on my early Papa I can't explain.

Early Papa Bear door.jpg

Thanks Coaly,
I actually took the mama door off, took it into the shop, used the hot wrench and shaped it like the other two stoves tonight.
I like the "S" bend better, not that it makes a difference. Thanks for the part #s, I do appreciate it!

Dave.

Thanks again Coaly,
The mama does have the stainless spring and much tighter wrapped. I just took a photo of her in the room next to the grandma, "cooking away" . Just ordered a new spring from woodman's for the baby,

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.