Spring is a beautiful thing!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
50 degrees, dry, no wind and still light when I get home from work. Not wet, not cold, beer doesn't get slushy while I am splitting, life is good.

Attachments

• 033011 splitting1.jpg
    033011 splitting1.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 500
  • 033011 splitting2.jpg
    033011 splitting2.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 486
JeffT said:
Wish I could get some spring.

I hear you, Jeff. Don't know what it's doing in Dayton, but Akron now has a bout 2 inches of thick, wet stuff on the ground with more falling. I am not amused.

Our roads and driveway have been dry for a couple of days now. Lots of good sledding and ice fishing left for a good month. The beer will not freeze on our daily bush and ice fishing adventures. Vehicles staying clean from A to B. Life is good.

I'm not sure how you get spring before we do but down here in west pa. as I look outside we have a couple of inches of new snow and spring is nowhere in sight. Aside from that the weather is fantastic.

KTLM said:
I'm not sure how you get spring before we do but down here in west pa. as I look outside we have a couple of inches of new snow and spring is nowhere in sight. Aside from that the weather is fantastic.

Well if it makes ya feel better, we still are -8 to -10c / 15f in the mornings. Noon is when we break above the freezing. The warmth from the sun is incredible. With more than 13 hrs of daylight now, things change fast, like overnight. ;-)

north of 60. This has been a very unusual march for our area. I work all night shift and leave for home at 3:30 AM. 15* F the last 4 nights. Highs just around freezing. I'm sure you would average colder but in very beautiful surroundings. Hang on, we're headed the right direction for weather.

KTLM said:
I'm not sure how you get spring before we do but down here in west pa

A thread of optimism if you will. After nearly 15' of snow, cold and wind this winter, a couple hours in relative calm warmth with the sun still in the sky felt great.

Solar, I got the splitter ready but still want to wait until I don't have to work in the snow. Sure wish like you I could get out there and do some splitting. Seems like last year at this time I had 6 cord already split and stacked.

I don't see the beer in the pictures though. ;)

firefighterjake said:
I don't see the beer in the pictures though. ;)

LOL, fair enough.

Attachments

• 033011 splittingIPA.jpg
    033011 splittingIPA.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 337
Backwoods Savage said:
Solar, I got the splitter ready but still want to wait until I don't have to work in the snow. Sure wish like you I could get out there and do some splitting. Seems like last year at this time I had 6 cord already split and stacked.

I hear ya Dennis. I usually work outside right through the winter. Not this one. Shut down during that cold snap in December and again in January through recently. Made me appreciate yesterday that much more.

greenbrierwv said:
you could glue a coozy to the top of that splitter wedge to keep your saranac from upsetting.

works like a champ

Now thats my kind of thinking

What is that, Sycamore?

The vast majority is Silver Maple but there is about a cord of Sugar Maple and those few rounds of Sycamore mixed in. Most of it is from a six cord scrounge week I had just before Thanksgiving.

SolarAndWood said:
The vast majority is Silver Maple but there is about a cord of Sugar Maple and those few rounds of Sycamore mixed in.
Yeah, I didn't think it was all Sycamore; There would be a lot more white logs in your pics. :) I've burned some over the years and it's pretty decent, about 20M BTU wood, like Cherry etc.

SolarAndWood said:
50 degrees, dry, no wind and still light when I get home from work. Not wet, not cold, beer doesn't get slushy while I am splitting, life is good.

Looks like the type of weather we are finally getting. After this weekend & week the woods should be open for hauling and cutting but until then the stacking should start tomorrow. Wanted to start last week but the sinuses had a bad week with things budding out.

Nice work.

Zap

zapny said:
Nice work.

Thanks Zap, Spring is definitely in the air. I broke out an ADK chair at the end of the day today, very nice. While I had the tractor out working on the garden, I gave the heap a good push so I have room to clear the splitting terrace. Hopefully, I'll get the splitting out of the way this week and be ready for some Spring scrounging. Right now I have no where to dump it.

Attachments

• 040211 push.jpg
    040211 push.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 172
Nice problem to have when you're running out of room.

Zap

Thanks guys. I finally got ahead of the game last year and damn it feels good.

Attachments

• 040211 heao.jpg
    040211 heao.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 134
lol, I'm done with that stacking nonsense. I am stacking my 8 cord safety under the roof in the Fall and burning chunks and uglies whenever their heap isn't buried in snow. I can't tell you how irritated I am with the 5 cord I stacked in our BS January weather coming over on me.

SolarAndWood said:
Thanks guys. I finally got ahead of the game last year and damn it feels good.

Looks like the whole woods in a pile! :lol:

Zap

Status
Not open for further replies.