Spring Is Coming

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
Today's target.
IMG_6055.jpg

All cut up.
IMG_6057.jpg

All split, thanks to my prize-winning splitter.
IMG_6061.jpg

There is still a lot of snow, but it's melting fast!
IMG_6068.jpg

Practicing for the National Splitting Championship Circuit.

We have 3' + of heavy snow in the woods, I'd love to get in and cut some wood. It's gonna take some time to melt too. I always enjoy your pics.

Thanks! Hopefully soon I'll have some pics of BARE GROUND to post! We're down to under a foot of snow in most places. Some of the more heavily shaded spots it's deeper but going fast now. We need a good rain to melt it and wake the ground up.

quads, we have lost a lot of snow this past week. If this continues, and the forecasters say yes, our snow should pretty much be gone this coming week. Out in the open fields there really is not much left at all. Great!

We heard some sandhill cranes yesterday but couldn't spot them and just a bit ago I heard some more fly over. Spring is here! Someone who lives about 100 miles south of us said he has seen redwinged blackbirds and even some killdeer 2 days ago.

Our nice weather is supposed to continue here too, for as long as the forecast covers. Wow, I haven't heard the Sandhills yet but I'll have to start listening for them now. The fields are still mostly covered, so they probably can't find much to eat here yet. I can't wait! I'm sure we'll get some wintry weather again yet, but won't last long now.

I see you finally jumped on the Fiskars bandwagon. :lol:

Spring is coming. Cant argue with that. Cherry blossom's are out along the coast from here in Sitka Alaska. :wow:
My driveway is showing lots of gravel spots and no snow on the roof anymore. Keep up the positive influence Quads. This is almost a month and a half ahead of schedual. Only -10 here this AM.

North, that is good to hear. If you guys get an early spring, we should also. No doubt with so much snow melt it will help. Our forecast has us freezing yet the next two nights and then 3 or 4 nights in a row without freezing. That is not good news for the maple syrup but there is still a lot of time. But I'm betting it will be a short run this year. I'll be heading to the sugar bush this week to see how things are going.

Flatbedford said:
I see you finally jumped on the Fiskars bandwagon. :lol:
Ha ha! No. That's my name, Archibald Fiskars. I put it on there so when I'm at the National Splitter Competitions none of the other competitors will steal my championship maul! ;-)

north of 60 said:
Spring is coming. Cant argue with that. Cherry blossom's are out along the coast from here in Sitka Alaska. :wow:
My driveway is showing lots of gravel spots and no snow on the roof anymore. Keep up the positive influence Quads. This is almost a month and a half ahead of schedual. Only -10 here this AM.
Wow! I'm going to have to move north. There is still snow on my roof, although it's been dripping quite a lot lately.

Great pics Archibald. Looks like you had some beautiful blue sky's.

Ha ha! Thank you! Yes, we have had some beautiful blue skies and warmer weather. Last night it was nice enough to sit outside and watch the sunset.

Spring is coming here too. We had to open a window last night because it was too hot upstairs with the stove going.

Quads glad spring is coming, I finally went back in the woods on Sunday and had the winch in use twice pulling the rhino out of some deep snow. We still have over a foot in some areas but after this week I should be fine.

Zap

Nice set of pics, as usual.

Finally had some warm weather here over the weekend.

Got the hobby greenhouse wax window openers back in and almost ready for greenhousing.

Heard redwing blackbirds but didn't see them. Crow chasing a hawk, rather relentlessly.

No March peepers yet, some years they are peeping slow end of February.

It's 55° right now! Awesome! The eaves are really dripping.

I was just out cutting a little wood, as usual. I tried to use my wood hauling trailer, but there's still too much snow. The wheel tracks on the north side of the trail melt first, so when riding on the trail I lean towards the north. Well, my trailer was leaning north and met a south-leaning tree! Took one of my 2x4 side stakes right off, so I got mad, went home and fixed it, then took the sled out in the woods instead.

Speaking of red-winged blackbirds, I was out watching the sunset last night and three females flew over. Still haven't hear any sandhill cranes though, but soon. And I expect to see a robin any day now.

WOW spring really hit you.
24°, 30 mph winds with 50 mph gusts, here today. Inside work. Snow blown away again.
Wood piles drying good today though :)

Don't get stuck & rut up your trails. "Breakup" is the worst time to do anything.
Heat in the sun , warm, want to be out enjoying it but 2"- 6" Mud & goo on top of frost line.

No worries about rutting up the trails. This old sand we have here sucks up all the water nature can throw at it. We rarely even have a puddle!

Status
Not open for further replies.