1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Spring splitting is here again!

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by WellSeasoned, Apr 7, 2013.

1. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

I haven't posted anything too worthy in awhile. With nice temps happening today I spent a few hours splitting red oak with a hint of cherry yielding just under a cord and a half.

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

Looks good WS, how is the wind your way?
  3. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

A relieving breeze from this awful heat while splitting. 61° gets some taking used to ya know.
    Thistle, PapaDave and zap like this.
  4. thewoodlands

We need some rain with this warm weather so the ice will melt quicker, I'll be checking the trails to the hills on Wednesday, I'm think all hills will be open by then.

I'll be happy if I can get three cord of hardwood and another two cord of shoulder season wood by winter, not much wood down so I'll be looking for topped off or dead standing.
  5. andybaker

andybaker Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northwest OH
    Opps, I first posted thinking it was Dennis up in Michigan. The avatar is close to his. Anyway, Red Oak is a great burning wood if you can give it three years to season. I have several cord of mostly Red and some White that will turn 3 next fall.==c Right behind it a few cords of Hickory. In between for those not so cold day and nights I have plenty of Ash and so much more I'm afraid a lot of it will rot before I can get to it.
  6. Locust Post

Locust Post Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeast Ohio
    Not Dennis Andy......you must have glanced at the picture with the spilitter standing up, but not the name. LOL
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  7. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

Ummm, im not Dennis, although I suppose my avatar looks similar. Im like a pebble compared to Dennis who is a boulder. I like my wood dry though, as he taught me many moons ago. This new supply is the start of 2015/2016.
  8. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

I'd think by fall there will be a lot more as the weather seems worse than I can remember. We have estimating 20-30 cords of down or leaning stuff.
  9. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    No boulder for sure WellSeasoned. Probably you have it exactly backwards!

I too got out the splitter a few days ago. Only split for a short time and found out I'm terribly out of shape. Hope to fix that fast. Also would like to see that 61 degrees you reported.

btw, we have snow/sleet in the forecast for mid week.
    zap likes this.
  10. thewoodlands

That short walk up Gunner Hill told me I was out of shape after the first 20 yards.:eek:
  11. TimJ

TimJ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeast Indiana
    pile looks real clean........should stack nice
  12. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

Below is what I have in store the next 2 years:

Attached Files:

zap and Backwoods Savage like this.
  13. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    zap, I'd have thought after that cross-country skiing you'd be in fine shape now. Perhaps I should be talking to your other half and get you a bit more busy?
    zap likes this.
  14. thewoodlands

What type of tree is the biggest one? You'll be busy by the looks of it.
  15. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

That is a huge silver maple. The base has just over a 48" circumference. I could probably spend half the summer on that guy alone. Some leaners deeper I will wait until as you say mother nature brings them down as they are all leaning together and under extreme pressure.
    zap likes this.