Spring splitting. Major clean-up under way

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fortydegnorth

Nov 16, 2010
Kettering, Oh
The snow has been gone, the sun was out so I figured it's time to start splitting, stacking and re-organizing the area I use to prep wood. Mostly been splitting oak and maple the last couple days. Hopefully I can get all this split and stacked within the next week or two. I'm figuring close to six cords when it's all split and stacked. It's such a mess now that I can't wait to get it organized. Good day of splitting, probably have 3 cords split or more.

Attachments

• wood pile 3.jpg
    wood pile 3.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 597
Nice looking wood.
If you get too organized, next you'll want a woodshed. :)
News said every county in Ohio is under flood watch/warnings.
Hope you are on high ground.
(another picture with no snow, I need to move. aaaarg) 20°f, 45 mph winds, blowing snow & snow drifts here, but sunny :)

Bigger pictures.....I think. First pic is Oak logs getting bucked to size. Pic two and three show the progression from the start of the day splitting to the end. Little bigger pile by the end. Couple cords at least I'd say.

No flooding here but the news has every flood story in Ohio right now. Seems mostly North of us.

Attachments

• fire 1.jpg
    fire 1.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 501
  • fire 2.jpg
    fire 2.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 496
  • fire 3.jpg
    fire 3.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 494
I Envy guys with yellow /white heavy metal in their pictures :) Hydraulics are a work saver.
Good days work. *& Oak ta-boot. I hear oak is good fire wood, but none here to try :lol:
Lots going on there.
Very nice pictures.

No mess here but will be glad when the snow is gone. Someone told me there is another potential storm coming towards the weekend...

Nice going. I've got a solid 6 weeks before I can even see my unsplit pile of rounds. Still have a good 3+ feet of snow covering the front yard.

Making some progress now. About halfway through splitting and stacking. Got two rows deep so far and a mess of chunks on the end. I need to bring some more skids over to get the rest split and stacked. I'm thinking another week or so.

Attachments

• fire wood 2.jpg
    fire wood 2.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 397
bogydave said:
I Envy guys with yellow /white heavy metal in their pictures :) Hydraulics are a work saver.
Good days work. *& Oak ta-boot. I hear oak is good fire wood, but none here to try :lol:
Lots going on there.
Very nice pictures.

Dave - we should each mail you a split of oak.........but.......a return to white birch and doug might be tough........ :lol: . Cheers!

Spring? What is this spring you speak of?

The only proof we have here is that the local seasonal Dairy Queen is open.

fortydegnorth, you are looking good.

fortydegnorth said:
Making some progress now. About halfway through splitting and stacking. Got two rows deep so far and a mess of chunks on the end. I need to bring some more skids over to get the rest split and stacked. I'm thinking another week or so.

Looks good 40, are you getting pounded with the rain?

Zap

We've had plenty of rain the last couple days for sure. Almost 2" of rain. Everything is a swamp around here now and flood warnings are in about every county from here North.

fortydegnorth said:
We've had plenty of rain the last couple days for sure. Almost 2" of rain. Everything is a swamp around here now and flood warnings are in about every county from here North.

It's been raining since early this morning which they say will change over to wet heavy snow tonight through Monday morning, the forecast is for 8-16 inches so I guess the plow goes on.

Zap

fortydegnorth said:
Bigger pictures.....I think. First pic is Oak logs getting bucked to size. Pic two and three show the progression from the start of the day splitting to the end. Little bigger pile by the end. Couple cords at least I'd say.

No flooding here but the news has every flood story in Ohio right now. Seems mostly North of us.

Lucky you with no flooding! It is so saturated here I can't even get to my outside stacks to move wood inside. Nice cutting area you have there...do you cut your own trees? I'm looking for a trustworthy supplier if you hear of any....

I do cut the occasional tree but owning a landscape company I have people all the time wanting to get rid of wood. A couple neighbors are also landscapers and drop logs off occasionaly. I also do the craigslist thing. That is my dad's house. He has five acres and allows me to make a mess. He has woods on both sides of his lot but his lot is pretty clear except for apple orchards. I do cut the dead apple trees when they go and occasionaly a tree will fall around the perimeter of his lot so I cut that too. I'm just a scrounger like most. Most of his trees are nice walnut trees that we don't have intentions of removing. One will come down in the spring to allow easier access to the back field but that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.