Spring ?? Well almost

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowy Rivers

Minister of Fire
Feb 7, 2010
NW Oregon
Friday was fairly nice here and Saturday was georgous with clear skies and 70F by early afternoon.

Had all the stoves off by Friday morning at around 7AM.

Had a small fire in the little stove Friday eavening until Saturday morning then off until Sunday morning at around 6 AM

The clouds rolled back in and the rain came down again Sunday most of the day off and on.

This morning (Monday) I awoke to Wind and sideways rain.

Turned the fire up in the little stove for about 30 minutes to rid the stack of residue.

Its fairly warm outside (50's F ) so not much fire is needed, but we need a little one.

Weather man says rain pretty much all week here.

Fire season is not over yet.

My guess is that it will be early June before we are totally done with the stoves for the season.

Last year it was the second week in June when we had our last fire.

Did not use the stoves again until mid September for a little spot fire to take the chill off in the morning a couple times.

This season has not been the coldest by a long shot but it was a really good test of the "two" stove combination to heat the place.

We did not run the Quad at all this season. I think we used about 1/3 of a bag of pellets total as starter for the two Whitfields.

I always dump a handful of pellets in the pot and light with the torch, then flip the feed on and allow the nut shells to get going.

The Pellet smoke, if it gets any in the room on start, smells a lot better than the nut shell smoke.

The shell smoke when first starting off smells like someone burnt the dinner, NASTY.

Ahhhh well, stove season is coming to a close. I expect to start seeing more days without a fire soon.

Snowy

Status
Not open for further replies.