Springfield mo. What are the white. Possibly dead trees all over?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

moresnow

Minister of Fire
Jan 13, 2015
Iowa
Spent the weekend down that way. Seems to be plenty of dead standing stuff? Curious if anybody here knows what specie it is. Looks white. Appears to have zero bark or very smooth? No shortage of hardwoods down that way. Wow!

Spent the weekend down that way. Seems to be plenty of dead standing stuff? Curious if anybody here knows what specie it is. Looks white. Appears to have zero bark or very smooth? No shortage of hardwoods down that way. Wow!

If you have the Emerald Ash Borer in your area, it's likely Ash. Cut as much as you can it's great firewood.

It's very common in my region to see elm trees with Dutch elm disease (DED) lose their bark completely before falling over years later. After they lose their bark, the wood gets bleached by the sun to look very whitish. There are large stretches of DED elms that look like this along certain sections of the PA Turnpike.

EAB ash trees often keep a lot of bark (especially on their trunks) even after falling to the ground.

Last edited:
Reactions: tadmaz and JimBear
We have/had both afflictions here in Iowa. If it's EAB it's a different flavor than what we have? Dutch Elm disease swept through here in the late 70's I believe (the ultimate Morel hunting years soon followed). Many of those dead Elm's are gone. None appear like this. Neither left our local trees appear pure white? Heck, maybe these are naturally this way and healthy! Dunno.
This is something different. I am kicking myself for not taking a few pics. The wife and I were commenting for hours as we drove home. I appreciate the comments and thought's.

It's very common in my region to see elm trees with Dutch elm disease (DED) lose their bark completely before falling over years later. After they lose their bark, the wood gets bleached by the sun to look very whitish. There are large stretches of DED elms that look like this along certain sections of the PA Turnpike.

EAB ash trees often keep a lot of bark (especially on their trunks) even after falling to the ground.
Have seen cottonwood do the same thing. Have cut some when it was like that and wasn't to bad of wood.
I would guess it's either elm or cottonwood.

Wonder if what you saw was sycamore? Quite a bit of them in my neck of the woods, N of Joplin. Especially around ponds, rivers, and lakes. Most of the trees on our 20 acres consist of red/white oak, walnut, and hickory. Couple of scattered sycamores, around the ponds.

Like Mark N MO said, I instantly thought of Sycamore when reading your title. They are very unique looking the way they shed their bark but they aren't dead.

I live in Springfield and I think the previous reply of elm is most likely what you've seen. Seems to last a good while standing dead when the bark falls off. Its not a top choice for firewood around here because its pretty tough to split.

Reactions: JimBear
I put Elm right below well seasoned Mulberry or maybe even above it. I like it better than Ash actually. No problem to split wit a 28 ton splitter.

Reactions: TreePointer