Springtime score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluedogz

Minister of Fire
Oct 9, 2011
NE Maryland
So, a neighbor gets a call from Chesapeake Power, telling him his trees are threatening the overhead lines and they will send a crew to clear them; if he refuses, he'll be liable for the line damage. So, crew shows up and says, 'We were hired to cut them, not haul them away...' and left him this:

View attachment 66782

Attachments

• Score.JPG
    Score.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 174
&%$!- tilted!

Nice, takes half the work out for you!

Very nice, but now my neck hurts

This will probably help your thread out.

Score.JPG

That's a pretty nice score. I called my local power company because I have a few trees that are less than 12 inches from the line and they've been ignoring me.

we have two trees with limbs split and hanging over lines in front of my workplace. they've been there since last fall and i'm just waiting to pounce on the wood.

The good news here is... this photo is only half of it! There's another identical pile 10 yards away.

Is that "rot" or whatever it's called at the center of some of these rounds of any concern?

The good news here is... this photo is only half of it! There's another identical pile 10 yards away.

Is that "rot" or whatever it's called at the center of some of these rounds of any concern?
It looks like there are just a few pieces with the rot problem...most of the rounds look pretty clean. What is that, some kind of Maple?

Not for free wood already bucked and close to home.

Not for free wood already bucked and close to home.

True 'nuff. That said, what is that, anyway? How much of a concern would itbe if the wood re further away than 1/4 mile?

True 'nuff. That said, what is that, anyway? How much of a concern would itbe if the wood re further away than 1/4 mile?

It is had to say for sure from the pic, but looks to be insect damage. I'm not sure what comes first, rot or insects, but he wood gets soft and the bugs get in there and remove the wood...which causes more rot...until the entire center of the tree is gone.

I've seen a couple silver maple trees in town that were 30" plus and had literally just a few inches of sapwood left...the heartwood was GONE.

I wouldn't be too worried about that...after you get it split and stacked outside exposed to the elements it is not as hospitable for insects and they will likely vacate.

As for being more than 1/4 mile, depends on how bad you need the wood and how often you come across it.. I don't drive more than 1/4 mile for wood, period, and get all the hedge and black locust i could ever want. I wouldn't touch that tree unless I was doing a friend a favor or someone delivered it. For others, probably you included, that is a big score. Simple supply and demand.

I see that allot of with birch here, looks like that when it gets big & old. Hollow in the middle.
As you split it , most of the rotted stuff will fall out, add it to your compost pile.
What ever remains is good wood , will dry & burn just fine.
A few pieces in the pile may be real bad , split them & use as cook-out fire wood.
Lots of good BTUs there.

Nice score.

Before I realized that Snotrocket turned the picture I had already laid down so I could see it better. Dang, should have looked at all the posts first. As for the crew, I'd say they did really good. Now comes the fun.

Reactions: Snotrocket
It is had to say for sure from the pic, but looks to be insect damage.

I wouldn't touch that tree unless I was doing a friend a favor or someone delivered it. For others, probably you included, that is a big score. Simple supply and demand.

In fact, this is both. This is a neighbor who could use a hand;he can't afford to have it hauled away. But yeah, it's a big score for me. He says it's all maple- I have no reason to disbelieve him.

Mrs. Blue and I will roll it onto the trailer this weekend.

When you split the wood just split off the worst of the rotten parts and you'll be fine.

Reactions: ScotO
Took me a second to figure your question out... it's a Mitsubishi Endeavor.

That explains it! Interior door panel looks very Volvo, but exterior (in sideview mirror) didn't really match any model in my memory.

When you split the wood just split off the worst of the rotten parts and you'll be fine.

+1 . . . since I am so far ahead I often split off the good wood . . . and the punky wood that is questionable goes to my fire pit/camp wood pile.

Reactions: ScotO
Status
Not open for further replies.