Springtime Stove Shopping...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter B.

Feeling the Heat
Feb 27, 2008
SW Wisconsin
Went to a stove / fireplace dealer last week for the first time in a long time.

I've been thinking about a PE Fusion. The dealer doesn't stock the Fusion, but had a Super 27 (which uses the same firebox) on display. I looked it over, and have to admit I wasn't particularly impressed by the overall design or build quality... despite PE's reputation. And the ash removal system? I'd not be likely to use it, but just plug the spring loaded dump and forget about it.

I was much more impressed with the Mørso stoves on the floor.

I'm used to having a shakeable grate with an 'honest' ash chamber below, and an underfire intake besides. I'm in doubt now about the Fusion, since it appears to lack all those things... but one or another of the Mørso stoves may (one day) fit the bill.

I wonder if Mørso owners as a rule are happy with their stoves? And what model do you own?

I'm also (possibly) interested in Scan and RAIS stoves... any testimonials to share?

Thanks for any / all replies.

Peter B.

-----

Not to make an ash out of myself, but after owning stoves with great (or grate) ash systems and bad ash systems, I've come to the conclusion that buying a stove based on it's ash system is over-rated. As much as I loved the beautiful design, finish and quality of our previous stoves, some of which had good ash removal systems, I am now living with a stove that has a poor one. I suppose I could be wringing my hands in angst over this, but being a basically lazy person, my response is... so what?

Our PE stove has a big box and eventually the ash builds up to the point where I have to clean the stove. With the Castine which had a very nice full grate and a good ashpan I still put it off as long as possible. And it was still messy. In the final analysis (and this is not in any way knocking the Jotul which is a great stove combining beauty with great heating), I empty ash less frequently with the T6 in spite of it being a bigger stove and in spite of me burning it longer between cleanings. It has a deep firebox and a lot of ash can accumulate there before I am forced to shut down the fire or at least, corral the coals and clean it.

The Morso and Jotul's have a great aesthetic advantage. And both have over a century advantage over PE in woodstove construction experience. They are wonderful stoves. My point is, IMHO, ash pans are overrated. How well and long the stove heats should have a much higher priority. My only gripe is that PE doesn't offer all their stoves without their lame ash system. Other than that, it has many strong virtues of much greater value, to me at least. Let the flames begin. :)

BeGreen:

I take your point about the overall importance of the ash removal method. Obviously, it's trivial compared to the performance of the stove... and I had already been advised (here, by you and other PE owners) that PE's method was not the strongest point of the stove(s).

I admit I've been spoiled. The firebox of the old Round Oak is deep, and can accumulate at least 2-3" of ash (that doesn't readily fall through the small grate) before requiring cleanout. Between the combined capacity of the firebox and the ash chamber below, I don't typically have to clean either for several weeks. Maybe that's a 'luxury' among modern stoves, but a decent ash removal system certainly isn't a feature difficult to design into any stove.

I think my reactions were based more on the side by side comparison of the Super 27 and a couple of the Mørso models. The firebox designs of the Mørsos seemed - elegant - compared to the PE. Again, 'glamor' is not an important consideration when evaluating a stove (or a firebox), but I appreciate thoughtful engineering... (which is one of the reasons I drove 'antique' SAABs rather than Fords or Chevies for twenty years).

At this point, I have no idea how durability or pricing of the two lines compares... and the Mørso models I might be interested in have rather small fireboxes... maybe too small for my needs.

So I guess I'll keep looking...

Peter B.

-----

Morso makes high quality stoves. Rais and Scan are also good stoves. I know at least one Rais owner and they are very happy with it. You might also want to look at the Nestor-Martin which Precaud has.

A Woodstock Fireview would look very nice sitting on that brick hearth of yours? Just thought I'd throw that out there since they have such a great sale going on. Good luck in your search.

Peter all our stoves up to now had real ash trays and I was pretty much convinced we couldn't live without one. But ash removal is so easy I'm tempted to say it's better than having an ash tray.

Always before reloading, rake the hot coals forward toward the door, they almost turn to ash before your eyes. About every 3-4 days in the morning there's enough to remove 4 shovels to the ash bucket...DONE!

Hmmm. The Resolute is my 1st stove. It has a good grate and an ash pan. I got into the habit of, when I was down to coals and ready to load for the overnight, taking the ash pan outside to the bucket and dumping it. Then I'd rake the coals and that ash would drop, leaving "clean" coals to start the new load. No muss. No fuss. I'm not sure I'd like not having that ash pan and having to shovel and trying not make a mess. Just my newbie $.02

Peter, which Morso model are you looking at?

When you say "build quality" are you referring to "finish quality"? Yes, Morso has superb finish quality, for sure. But something to consider is the number of parts in the stove. The simpler design is going to be more trouble-free and less costly to own, and is more likely to maintain it's performance over time. I think the older models in Morso's line are not as robust as the newer ones. On many of them, the primary air wash manifold covers most of the top plate. This keeps the glass really clean but it lowers efficiency and is susceptible to warping. The models with dual front doors will have leak problems, you can count on it.

I agree with BG on the ashpan. A good ashpan system (which the Morsos have) is a convenience for sure but I wouldn't make it the main criteria in choosing a stove.

Thanks to all for your replies...

When it comes down to it, this looks like it's going to be a very difficult decision... that is, if it gets made at all this year. It certainly looks like a good time to buy a new wood stove, provided the chosen stove is elligible for the tax credit.

I wish there were a 'Super Store' where a person could go and see many/most available stove models on display.

When all is said and done, I'm not in a panic to buy a new stove... even though the Round Oak (after twenty consecutive winters' use) could definitely use a tear down and rebuild.

I may yet have a very 'crafty' person I know build a glass door for the RO and call it done.

--

Supposed to climb to 80* here today... guess I won't be burning.

Peter B.

-----

I have two stoves, one with an ashpan (Avalon Arbor) and one without an ashpan (Napoleon 1401). The one with the ashpan is nice for when I'm starting a fire from coals. I can crack the ashpan a bit and with kindling on top I get a real nice fast fire. The problem with an underfire inlet is that when the fire dies off, that air coming up from below will entirely consume all coals if I don't get back in time to reload. Then I'm starting from scratch. Technically, the Avalon Arbor doesn't have an under fire inlet, but you still get a tiny bit of air leakage in the gasket which creates a very small underfire inlet. The other stove without the underfire inlet will keep a few coals for quite a long time. There will still be enough to separate out from the ash and get things going again.

Both approaches have their merits. I prefer NOT to have the underfire inlet since I have a lot more flexibility in time between reloads. I generally reload every 8-9 hours with the Napoleon.

The one thing that the underfire inlet gives you is the ability to burn with fairly wet wood since you can create a pretty hefty draft by opening the ashpan a bit. But if you manage your woodpile and have well seasoned wood, then this is not needed. Stove manufacturers don't want you using that ashpan as an inlet because if you have dry wood in there and leave it open, you can create a dangerous condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.