Sprinklar TANk for Storage?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EJM17

Jun 10, 2008
Atlantic State
I'm about to buy a EKO 40 boiler. Our housee has a pressure fire sprknlar system wit a 750 gal tank. Could that be Plumbed in to the EKO system as a storage tank? Ideas much apprecaited and thanks,

Fred

EJM17 said:
I'm about to buy a EKO 40 boiler. Our housee has a pressure fire sprknlar system wit a 750 gal tank. Could that be Plumbed in to the EKO system as a storage tank? Ideas much apprecaited and thanks,

Fred

That's a new one! I don't know anything about the tanks used for such an application, but if it's rated for more than 30 PSI it should be OK. Can you insulate it adequately?

[qu
That's a new one! I don't know anything about the tanks used for such an application, but if it's rated for more than 30 PSI it should be OK. Can you insulate it adequately?[/quote]

Thanks for anwering. The tank is inside under a staircase - does insulation make big differnece?

Fred

EJM17 said:

Fred

If the sprinkler tank is required by building code or if you have a questionable water supply for fighting a fire (such as well water and no local hydrants) don't mess with it. It is too much of a safety issue. There must be a reason why it was installed. Besides, I have seen some tanks that are used for sprinkler applications and they are not rated for elevated temperatures. You should carefully evaluate anything you do in this situation.

Mike

EJM17 said:
The tank is inside under a staircase - does insulation make big differnece?

Fred

You have a 750 gallon tank under a staircase? That's a really huge tank to fit in that kind of space.

An uninsulated tank will create uncomfortable if not dangerous temperatures in the vicinity, not to mention loss of control about when and how much heat to release.

Status
Not open for further replies.