Sprocket seized up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

djblech

Feeling the Heat
Jul 7, 2008
Bruno MN
The sprocket nose on the 18" bar for my Husky 346xp seized up 3 times today. It seems like the nose of the bar is coming apart and wood shreds keep getting stuck between the bar and the sprocket. I first time I used a screwdriver and tapped the sprocket around till it cleared. This last time it is stuck good. That bar has cut alot of wood but it isn't a year old yet. I think I will pick up a new bar and see if that helps. Could not greasing the nose be the problem? The last time out a stray Lab wandered in and took my grease gun out of my bucket and chewed it to pieces while I was skidding in some trees. Haven't replaced it yet.
Doug

djblech said:
The sprocket nose on the 18" bar for my Husky 346xp seized up 3 times today. It seems like the nose of the bar is coming apart and wood shreds keep getting stuck between the bar and the sprocket. I first time I used a screwdriver and tapped the sprocket around till it cleared. This last time it is stuck good. That bar has cut alot of wood but it isn't a year old yet. I think I will pick up a new bar and see if that helps. Could not greasing the nose be the problem? The last time out a stray Lab wandered in and took my grease gun out of my bucket and chewed it to pieces while I was skidding in some trees. Haven't replaced it yet.
Doug

Have you taken the air compressor to the bar and sprocket yet? Pictured are two depth gauge tools used for cleaning your groove on your bar from the sprocket back.

Zap

Attachments

• 100_2628.jpg
    100_2628.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 277
loon said:
djblech said:
The last time out a stray Lab wandered in and took my grease gun out of my bucket and chewed it to pieces Doug

sorry man, but thats funny :p

loon

I guess that's a new update on the 'dog ate my homework' story ;-P

hook the chain on a log, dig it in deep, then cram the saw forward. hopefully breaking the nose gear free. then lube the sprocket. dont need the fancy grease gun, just a extended zerk needle on a standard grease gun. then you can hit the zerks on your wood hauler too!

Pineburner
I tried that the second time and got it to free up. The 3rd time it wouldn't budge. I was just cutting frozen birch that had been down for about a yr. I just got home and started to thaw out I will see if I can free it up tomorrow.
Doug

Zapny
Those are 2 tools I have not seen before. Looks like something that should be in my bucket.
Doug

djblech said:
Zapny
Those are 2 tools I have not seen before. Looks like something that should be in my bucket.
Doug

I bought them at my local Stihl dealer, you'll be surprised what comes out when you clean it. I had my sprocket jam when a piece of wood got jammed in there. I got it out with the small depth gauge tool.

Zap

The lack of grease may be the issue.
I have not greased a bar tip in years, the chain oil does the lube. Not sure if my current bars even have grease holes.
But I have been told to either stay with oil or stay with grease. Once greased, the grease working outward forms a 'seal' aroudn the outer poart of the sprocket and chain oil can't get back in there. So essentially the tip has no lube after that,unless there is more grease.

Any fibers or stringy stuff in there? A friend caught a fishinkg line in there somehow. must have been some really big fish to clean..
If you have gotten a hard year out of it I would consider it a consumable and buy a new one and keep this for dirty cutting or backup.

Chips are not clearing out the shoot! Sprocket cover is dirty.....................................

Are you using winter weight (lighter) bar oil? Regular bar oil, when exposed to colder weather, can thicken and form a thick paste with wood dust and chips and jam the groove and sprocket. Yep, it has happened to me.

Grease gets bits of saw dust in it and creates a ring of gunk the bar oil can't get through.
Either degrease the sprocket on the bar when it is new and never grease them, or give 'em a shot every time you refuel and never forget.

Never seen a nose sprocket lock up from a lack of lube. Usually they will wear out and disintigrate.
Any chance you pinched the hell out of it and didn't notice?

Bar scrapers can be anything that will fit the groove. Pop can Tab, screwdriver, whatever. My favorite is a little Stihl screwdriver bent 45degrees at the blade.

Put the bar and chain back on and leave about 1/2" of sag in the chain. Then clamp the chain in the bench vice using padded jaws, and push.
Usually, the gunk will break free unless things are bent.

Check your oiler and the oil passages on the bar just for good measure.;)

Is it a replaceable tip or the Husky labeled oregon NK bar?

Status
Not open for further replies.