sprocket tip vs hard nose bars

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stoz

Feb 2, 2006
I have never used a hard nose bar but won one on ebay by mistake, is there anything wrong with them, before I go ahead and use it? I will have it on a husky 385 xp 24" bar so I should have enough hp to turn it.

Scott

Hi,

There is nothing wrong with a hard nose bar. They are generally used in dirty conditions where abrasives could cause a problem with the sprocket tip. They do have a little more friction than a sprocket tip but I don't think you would notice much of a difference if at all. A 385 xp will have no problem turning that.

Craig

stoz said:
I have never used a hard nose bar but won one on ebay by mistake, is there anything wrong with them, before I go ahead and use it? I will have it on a husky 385 xp 24" bar so I should have enough hp to turn it.

Scott
Husqvarna 385xp , yeah ... ya might have enough power to run it. Ha . I have run 32" bars on my 372XP . normally the bar will bend or the rails will get worn before the nose will go to pot. Your good to go. I think you should be able to run a 36" bar on that powerhouse , unsure of a 42" Look into it.

With a 385 a 24" bar is nothing for that saw.We have a 36" bar on one at work for BIG WOOD . Runs just fine.

What MAlogger said.

Thanks for the input, got it for a great deal so I figured somethiing must be wrong.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.