Sprocket turns but only with effort

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sksmass

Dec 21, 2009
Western MA
My saw bogged down and quit today. It would rev up but the chain wouldn't spin. I shut it down and tried to spin it by hand, no luck. I took the saw apart and noticed the bar tip sprocket didn't spin. I cleaned the bar groove, the grease ports, and greased the sprocket. Now it turns but only if I put the bar on edge and press down on the sprocket tooth with a flathead screwdriver. I spun it like that for several revolutions in order to get the grease spread around. But it still only turns with a lot of effort. I can't, for example, spin it using nothing but my thumbnail.

How easy should it turn? The motor is way stronger than my thumbnail so I think it will spin under power. But would that be making the saw work way harder than it has to? Would that damage the saw? Or will the fast rpms heat up the grease and work out whatever gunk is in there once it is running?

Basically, is there any way to diagnose and fix a sprocket or am I looking at buying a new bar?

update: I put the chain on and was able to turn the chain by hand by turning the clutch drum. But it was still hard to turn at a certain point every revolution. I can get past the sticky point but there is definitely one part of the revolution that is extra hard. I should mention it is a Husqvarna 350

New bar for starters. Check the brake also, may be hanging up. Make sure it is throwing oil also.

I have a husky 353 and had that happen a couple of times. Some way or another the bar has gotten pinched near the end and closed in on the nose sprocket. You need to take the bar off and put it in a vise and try to open up the two laminated halves a bit near the sprocket end, maybe with a flat headed screwdriver. May take some effort and some time, spraying some lubricate down in there might help to but probably isn't the real issue.

Reactions: Jeffm1
I have a pail of used engine oil so when my bars tighten up like that
I soak them in it tends to loosen the tannins from the tree and cleans
them out so that the noise turns easy again . Also gives it one h-ll of
a lub job

When something isn't right on a saw its dangerous. Invest in a new bar.

bob

Reactions: Oldman47 and Jeffm1
Sounds like the roller tip has galled and seized. This happens. They don't last for ever.Age,dirty cutting conditions,and poor bar maintenance all contribute to this situation. Been there...Seldom if ever will you ever get one to roll freely again.Toss it in the trash can and get a new one. It pays to get a professional grade bar. And don't try to pry it apart..it is this preset gauge thickness that keeps your chain from jumping track....

Last edited:
I agree Bob. Time for a new bar. Too much at risk. Don't compromise.