Spruce Longevity

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WarmGuy

Minister of Fire
Jan 30, 2006
Far Northern Calif. Coast
I was talking to someone today who said two things I'm skeptical about:

1. Spruce (cut and split) won't last more than two years.

2. To make it last longer, you should cut it into rounds, and leave it for a few years before splitting.

I figure that stacked off the ground and covered on the top, it should last longer than two years, and that there's no disadvantage to splitting it right away. This is relevant to me, because I get mostly downed spruce around here, and I'm already about two years out in my stash.

What do you think?

I think your skepticism is worthy. FWIW, spruce is used for siding in Scandanavia. Keep it dry and it should be fine.

Any other opinions on this? I'm about to go out today and do a lot of sawing and hauling of spruce, but I don't want to be wasting my time. I have access to perhaps 5 cords or more, all free.

Thanks,

On the charts, srpuce is a relatively low btu wood per cord so you'll need to get more spruce than say doug fir to get the same heat. I've cut cottonwood when it was free so I am not going to discourage you one bit from that spruce. Get it stored properly and it will last planty long enough to burn. I just bucked up a 30 year old 16" diameter spruce tree this last weekend and will be splitting and stacking it over this coming weekend.

Free wood is the best wood. You have to burn what's available, and as long as it's off the ground and kept dry you should be fine.

I agree that off the ground and dry you should be fine for quite a while. Think about it, if you took a piece of split spruce and put in on a shelf in your garage, how long would you think it would last? I think keeping it dry, it would last 10-20-30 years or more. Probably be so dry in 30 years it would burn like gasoline! I think the secret is just keeping it dry. Stacked outside thats not quite as easy as in a shed, barn etc. Even so man you got plenty of time. Go for it!

Status
Not open for further replies.