1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Spruce Point good pellet or so so?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by smalltown, Apr 17, 2013.

1. smalltown

smalltown Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western Maine
    Been watching for early pellet specials, but none seem to be appearing.
    I keep driving by one store that has Spruce Point for $289 a ton. I don't want to find myself like last year waiting for Okies that never appeared in my area, then settling for whatever I could find. I should stop and buy a few bags while my burning season is still hanging on to try them in my Castile.

I know Okies burnt very well in my stove, and I have searched the forum and some compare the Spruce Points to Okies. Were the Spruce Points a good pellet this season?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Lake Girl

Lake Girl Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    No experience with either:) but you provided your own answer - grab some bags and give them a try!
  3. Hoot23

Hoot23 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Alfred, Me
    Burned a ton this season. Great heat and very, very clean. Kinda heavy on the fines though.
  4. Tony K

Tony K Member

Loc:
    Northeast Ct
    I burned 3 tons this past year of the Spruce Points, had good heat, agree with post on heavy fines and also a little ashy but it did not clog up the burnpot. I would def get them again but a little pricey this year!
  5. CT Pellet

CT Pellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Torrington, CT
    I sell both Okies and Spruce Points. Spruce Points are an OK pellet, but not as good as the Okanagan pellet by any stretch. Very heavy fines, byt the heat is good and ash is moderate. For the extra couple of bucks, go with the Okies.
  6. smalltown

Loc:
    Western Maine
    My first choice would be the Okies. I am wondering if they finally have their act together with the new bagging operation in Mass? I am a little leery after following some of the posts last winter.
    Okies are scarce around here unless you are willing to pay $300 for 1 ton of Platinum or $355 for the Douglas fir. Both of which I am balking at.

CT Pellet are you having a hard time getting Okies or is it just my local dealer not selling them anymore?
  7. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Can you get the BlackHills Heat(Next pellet I will be testing!)? Another would be La Crete's if you can find some in your area. Heat rivals Okies and ash content was very close. They impressed me!

http://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/12-13-pellet-testing.108795/#post-1430022

I have had very good luck with Spruce pointes in the past. Heat is pretty close to the Okies. I have seen less ash with the spruce pointes too! I haven't burned Okies or Spruce Pointes this season, But from what I have heard and seen on here. They both have had some sort of fines issue this season.
  8. Woody1911a1

Woody1911a1 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Marblehead , Ma
    high priced pellets . major disappointment . personally i could care less about fines . mediocre heat . no better than GT's if even . i saved the rest of what i bought and burned them when it got warm .

everyone here said wow yea spruce point , well i've learned to test on my own and not rely on internet blab . i bought 15 bags and after 2 changed my mind about reviews from this forum . seriously .
  9. smalltown

Loc:
    Western Maine
    Checked and only found one dealer: charging $319 a ton ouch.
    Seems like pellet prices are going through the roof!
  10. briansol

briansol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    central ct
    meanwhile, oil is crashing. almost under $80!
  11. JayP

JayP New Member

I was pretty happy with spruce pointes this winter, but on the other hand, I only payed $259/ton
  12. iron stove

iron stove Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central CT
    Thats good, and bad. Gold and oil both crashed before the big 2008 recession :mad:
  13. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    I did my fair share of stimulating the economy! ;em