Spruce Point good pellet or so so?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smalltown

Minister of Fire
Oct 1, 2008
Western Maine
Been watching for early pellet specials, but none seem to be appearing.
I keep driving by one store that has Spruce Point for $289 a ton. I don't want to find myself like last year waiting for Okies that never appeared in my area, then settling for whatever I could find. I should stop and buy a few bags while my burning season is still hanging on to try them in my Castile.

I know Okies burnt very well in my stove, and I have searched the forum and some compare the Spruce Points to Okies. Were the Spruce Points a good pellet this season?

No experience with either:) but you provided your own answer - grab some bags and give them a try!

Burned a ton this season. Great heat and very, very clean. Kinda heavy on the fines though.

I burned 3 tons this past year of the Spruce Points, had good heat, agree with post on heavy fines and also a little ashy but it did not clog up the burnpot. I would def get them again but a little pricey this year!

I sell both Okies and Spruce Points. Spruce Points are an OK pellet, but not as good as the Okanagan pellet by any stretch. Very heavy fines, byt the heat is good and ash is moderate. For the extra couple of bucks, go with the Okies.

My first choice would be the Okies. I am wondering if they finally have their act together with the new bagging operation in Mass? I am a little leery after following some of the posts last winter.
Okies are scarce around here unless you are willing to pay $300 for 1 ton of Platinum or $355 for the Douglas fir. Both of which I am balking at.

CT Pellet are you having a hard time getting Okies or is it just my local dealer not selling them anymore?

Can you get the BlackHills Heat(Next pellet I will be testing!)? Another would be La Crete's if you can find some in your area. Heat rivals Okies and ash content was very close. They impressed me!

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/12-13-pellet-testing.108795/#post-1430022

I have had very good luck with Spruce pointes in the past. Heat is pretty close to the Okies. I have seen less ash with the spruce pointes too! I haven't burned Okies or Spruce Pointes this season, But from what I have heard and seen on here. They both have had some sort of fines issue this season.

high priced pellets . major disappointment . personally i could care less about fines . mediocre heat . no better than GT's if even . i saved the rest of what i bought and burned them when it got warm .

everyone here said wow yea spruce point , well i've learned to test on my own and not rely on internet blab . i bought 15 bags and after 2 changed my mind about reviews from this forum . seriously .

Checked and only found one dealer: charging $319 a ton ouch.
Seems like pellet prices are going through the roof!

meanwhile, oil is crashing. almost under $80!

I was pretty happy with spruce pointes this winter, but on the other hand, I only payed $259/ton

meanwhile, oil is crashing. almost under $80!

Thats good, and bad. Gold and oil both crashed before the big 2008 recession :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.