Spruce Pointe Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pellet burner

Sep 5, 2009
Central Maine
Hello all,
Long time reader,first time poster. I just finished my first annual cleaning of my '08 Mt.Vernon AE. Picked up 5 bags of Spruce Pointe pellets to try before committing to a ton (269.00 ton delivered @ Blanchards in Turner,Maine). These are premium softwood pellets from Canada.I saw a few comments on them here on the forums but I would like more input. I just dumped a bag in the hopper to be ready for those cold mornings to come.They seem inconsistent in length but have very little fines in the bag. They have a bit of a petroleum smell to them? Not at all like the beautiful pine aroma of the of Rocky Mountains I used last year. I have heard they burn hot and clean. I appreciate the input of all experianced pellet users here and have been following this site for over a year now.
Thank you for your input.

BTU said:
.......Rocky Mtn is a good example of that, as they are made from lodgepole and Pondersa Pine out of CO. .....

Got my 69 bags of Rocky Mtn. from a seller on Craigs list (she said she got them from Home Despot last winter), and am looking forward to burning them...haven't opened a bag to smell them, though.

Thanks for the reply BTU. I was hoping to hear from you. I have been following your raves about western Canada softwood pellets and couldn't wait to try them. Okanagans are 289.00 a ton around here but would love to try them. The Spruce Pointes seem to smell a bit better in the hopper than in the bag. Could be the plastic bag contributing to the smell? They still dont have the strong pine scent of the Rockys though. Damn....just realized I tore the exhaust blower gasket. Dealer closed. Will have to wait until Tuesday.

I burned 6 bags last spring as a trial. I like them very much. They are one of the pellets on my list if they are affordable. Burned clean and hot. Very little to no fines in the bag. The ash was just a taid more than the Rockys, But nothing major.

I didn't notice any smell that was harsh. They smelled like fresh cut lumber. I actually like the smell.

I would have no issues buying them to finish my cache for the season.

jay

Last fall I bought 20 bags at Mardens in Brewer for $5 each. Will burn some this heating season, they are next in line.

pellet burner said:
Hello all,
Long time reader,first time poster. I just finished my first annual cleaning of my '08 Mt.Vernon AE. Picked up 5 bags of Spruce Pointe pellets to try before committing to a ton (269.00 ton delivered @ Blanchards in Turner,Maine). These are premium softwood pellets from Canada.I saw a few comments on them here on the forums but I would like more input. I just dumped a bag in the hopper to be ready for those cold mornings to come.They seem inconsistent in length but have very little fines in the bag. They have a bit of a petroleum smell to them? Not at all like the beautiful pine aroma of the of Rocky Mountains I used last year. I have heard they burn hot and clean. I appreciate the input of all experianced pellet users here and have been following this site for over a year now.
Don't burn anything made outside the U.S. especially these days,regardless of the $ or how good they are.....Just my opinion, had to put it out there.

I burned about 25 bags at the end of last season and I thought they were a good pellet. not to much ash and I didn't have the petroleum smell you mention. I bough them off a friend and when I ran out and bnought another brand I was very dissapointed that the other brand wasn't as hot too.

HEMI_1500 said:
pellet burner said:
Hello all,
Don't burn anything made outside the U.S. especially these days,regardless of the $ or how good they are.....Just my opinion, had to put it out there.

Don't burn any pellets made outside Canada-especially in these times. Maybe we should also turn off the oil tap to the us while we are at it.
(just had to put my two cents in there) see where this going?

I burned about 20-30 bags of Rocky Mountains last winter from HD.... They were some of the best pellets I have burned.

I'll also burn Canadian pellets....you very rarely hear neg. about their pellets as BTU stated. They can make a good pellet.

HEMI_1500 said:
pellet burner said:
Hello all,

Everyone has a right to their opinion, but try some pellets from province BC and
see if they don't change your mind. Best of the bunch IMO

HEMI_1500 said:

The last thing we need is more enemies! Our friends up north our are allies! And they makes some awesome pellets too!

No offence to anyone, But our economic issues have nothing to do with where we buy our pellets or where they are made.

just my 2
jay

jtakeman said:
HEMI_1500 said:

The last thing we need is more enemies! Our friends up north our are allies! And they makes some awesome pellets too!

No offence to anyone, But our economic issues have nothing to do with where we buy our pellets or where they are made.

just my 2
jay
ditto

Getting back on the original question of this thread...I burned four tons of Spruce Pointe pellets last season and was quite happy with their performance. THey burned hot and without too much ash. If I had any dislikes with them to pass on it is that (1) the bags had a bit more 'sawdust' than I've seen with other brands and (2) they seemed to 'stick' to the side of the hopper instead of slide on down. I would open the hopper occasionally and push them from the sides to the middle. I'd buy them again without any hesitation...if I didn't already have all I need for this season.

HEMI_1500 said:
pellet burner said:
Hello all,

Protectionism at its finest. Like American planer shavings/sawdust is better anyways....

Vanderwell's sawmill operation is across the street from our mill .... I will be buying all my pellets from them this winter.

BTU said:
Havlat24 said:
HEMI_1500 said:
pellet burner said:
Hello all,

Protectionism at its finest. Like American planer shavings/sawdust is better anyways....

Vanderwell's sawmill operation is across the street from our mill .... I will be buying all my pellets from them this winter.

Well that certainly helps with the freight...!!...Spruce Pointe is a good pellet and if I worked across the street from a mill like that, I might have a tediousness to use that product also..

I'm surprised they are widely available...given that vanderwell is running at 50% capacity due to market conditions.....

Status
Not open for further replies.