spruce pointe wood pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whiskey

Dec 15, 2010
central ma
Very disappointed with these pellets this year. I have a Harman P38 have been using Spruce Pointe for the past 3yrs, they were a great pellet but I think that the company figured that out an cheapened them for quantity instead for quality! They would cook us out of the house at a low setting on the stove, this year stove is at a higher setting an getting terrible heat. Stove has been cleaned by the company I bought it from so I know its done right. Gone through 3/4 of a ton since mid November I will be looking for a new pellet for next season. Anyone try or has been using the Okanagan pellets?

I've got 8 tons of Spruce Point pellets and they're working great for me. I actually had to turn my feed rate down on my PB105 because of the increase in BTUs they had versus the pellets I was using last year.

Glad they are working for you. Just not burning all that hot. It seems that the pellets are to big an jamming up the feed into the auger. I will be looking for a new pellet next year

whiskey said:
Glad they are working for you. Just not burning all that hot. It seems that the pellets are to big an jamming up the feed into the auger. I will be looking for a new pellet next year

Wish I lived near you, I would take them off your hands.

whiskey said:

I guess I see this as two separate issues...if the pellets were too big, jamming the auger, you would be contantly be fighting to keep the stove from going out, not so much about not getting the heat out of the pellet.....

That is most of the problem. Just went out an got 1/2 aton of Fireside Ultra pellets are a consistant size(seems like) an half the size of Spruce Pointe an had to turn stove down temp went for 62-68 in about 15min. I will be mixing these in for the rest of the season

No problems with my Spruce Pointe's...but they are left over from last winters supply and I don't have a new or older batch to compare to. I have test burned about 15 different brands and Spruce Pointe is a med-hi to high heat pellet for me. My stove seems to do better (hotter) with a longer (normal) size pellet, not the really short ones.

I am having the same issues with the Maine Wood Pellets. Lots of ash and no heat. Difference is that my dealer warned me that these would be a low quality pellet and I got them for under $200/ton. I learned a lesson this year. Fortunately I only bought 1 ton of them even though I knew better.

whiskey said:
Stove has been cleaned by the company I bought it from so I know its done right. Gone through 3/4 of a ton since mid November I will be looking for a new pellet for next season. Anyone try or has been using the Okanagan pellets?

I wouldn't bet the bank that a cleaning was done correctly. Things happen and get missed no matter how good you are. Maybe the tech was not familar with your stove or got a phone call while he was working and jumped ahead on something. 3/4 ton with the weather that most people have been having is about the going rate, if not a little low. Spruce points are supposed to be very good pellets and I doubt that the manufacturer would change the pellets and make them worse. You may of gotten some tons from the startup of the pellet machine. Longer pellets will not put as may into the pot and might effect the heat your feeling, or not feeling. I would be looking at what might not of been cleaned during the cleaning process. Did someone watch the tech during the cleaning process and do YOU know what actually needs to be done? Maybe if you post what model and brand stove you have someone will give some pointers on areas that can be missed.

Just some stuff to consider. Hope you get it figured out. You may be correct that you got a crappy batch of pellets. Tell Spruce Point and see what they do for you.

whiskey said:
That is most of the problem. Just went out an got 1/2 aton of Fireside Ultra pellets are a consistant size(seems like) an half the size of Spruce Pointe an had to turn stove down temp went for 62-68 in about 15min. I will be mixing these in for the rest of the season

This seems like the opposite of what most experience with Ultras and Spruce Points. The Ultras to me are a shoulder season pellet at best, and very dirty. Spruce Pointes are much higher on the food chain.

Spruce Points are supposed to be a super premium pellet and based on my observations I'd agree with that assessment. I normally run my feed rate at 5 out of a possible 6 on my Harman PB105. I've actually had to turn my feed rate down to 3.5 because unburned pellets were dropping into my ash pan. I've had no problems heating my 2000 sq. ft. house and hot water side arm and my average daily pellet usage has dropped by 1/2 bag per day.

whiskey said:
Very disappointed with these pellets this year. I have a Harman P38 have been using Spruce Pointe for the past 3yrs, they were a great pellet but I think that the company figured that out an cheapened them for quantity instead for quality! They would cook us out of the house at a low setting on the stove, this year stove is at a higher setting an getting terrible heat. Stove has been cleaned by the company I bought it from so I know its done right. Gone through 3/4 of a ton since mid November I will be looking for a new pellet for next season. Anyone try or has been using the Okanagan pellets?
whiskey how many tons did you buy, and could they be left overs from last season?

johnnycomelately said:
I am having the same issues with the Maine Wood Pellets. Lots of ash and no heat. Difference is that my dealer warned me that these would be a low quality pellet and I got them for under $200/ton. I learned a lesson this year. Fortunately I only bought 1 ton of them even though I knew better.

Can't help but wonder if you got some of the older stuff. Agree, they were BAD! but just as you said you learned your lesson, so did the folks at MWP. If you have bad pellets of theirs, give them a call. I have seen them go out of their way to clean up their old messes. I am burning MWP and they are a mush improve pellet. They came out really well in the pellet testing done by one of this forum's most trusted contributors. But even he will tell you that every situation is different. Unfortunately there are no markings on the product to tell you the age of your purchase.

spruce point are awesome super premium softwood pellets.been using them for 2 years now....Best I have ever used yet

whiskey said:

Where'd you pick up the Fireside Ultra's?

SXIPro said:
whiskey said:

This seems like the opposite of what most experience with Ultras and Spruce Points. The Ultras to me are a shoulder season pellet at best, and very dirty. Spruce Pointes are much higher on the food chain.

X2

Status
Not open for further replies.