Spruce Points not in production - LaCrete pellets being brought in

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lake Girl

Nov 12, 2011
NW Ontario
Stopped at local hardware store that brought in Spruce Points last year. Word from him was that Spruce Points are not being produced this year.

What experiences have folks had with LaCrete pellets? What price tag?

I paid $305/ton in July - "cash" price would have been a few bucks less, maybe $299/ton. I've seen them listed now in CT for $329/ton!

I haven't burned them - only Barefoot my first season this year, but when searching out a new pellet because Barefoot were not to be found... a lot of people on here said LaCrete were a notch above Barefoot and maybe a notch below Douglas Firs. Time will tell!

Price I was quoted was $6 Cdn/bag when buying the pallet. Signed up for three ....

Price I was quoted was $6 Cdn/bag when buying the pallet. Signed up for three ....
First off Lacretes are not DF's or like DF's, so we can get that off the table. I would place LaCrete on par or a notch above Spruce Pointe though. They produce a reasonable amount of ash, very manageable if not slightly less than Spruce Pointe and about the same heat as Spruce Pointe I believe as memory serves me within 2000 btu.. Your experience may vary, it is another year now. Who knows from one year to the next..

So far I don't have a local dealer handling either brand but I burned both last year. Soon if I can't locate one or the other I will go to the box store or with Energex for my remaining two tons I want to get. I have DF's for mid winter, two tons.

Stopped at local hardware store that brought in Spruce Points last year. Word from him was that Spruce Points are not being produced this year.

I burned them last year as well as Vermonts. Loved the Lacretes and went with them and North Country this year and ditched the Vermonts.

Douglas firs seem a waste of money for the premium they try to command. The lacretes and Barefoots both burn hot with the Barefoots nudging forward slightly. Only problem I had with the Barefoots was that they seemed to burn faster than other brands, and while hot as hell, I needed to fill the hopper more frequently. But to buy DFs at 375 per ton seems laughable to me!

Douglas firs seem a waste of money for the premium they try to command. The lacretes and Barefoots both burn hot with the Barefoots nudging forward slightly. Only problem I had with the Barefoots was that they seemed to burn faster than other brands, and while hot as hell, I needed to fill the hopper more frequently. But to buy DFs at 375 per ton seems laughable to me!
I don't think you live on Cape Cod, getting anything shipped here is stupid costly if it's coming from over those bridges. But the DF dealer is local. So how would like to pay nearly as much for an inferior pellet to DF , is it still laughable ? Other than this we go pick things up ourselfves, I can haul 1 ton at a time and use $40 in gas, wear and tear, time etc... Spruce Pointe was a good option for me, as were Lacrete. So far these are not local this year.

I burned them last year as well as Vermonts. Loved the Lacretes and went with them and North Country this year and ditched the Vermonts.

got my North Country in. Looked at the first few bags, and they seem to be loaded with fines on the bottom. Maybe it just seems that way because of the clear bottom packaging.

have you looked at yours yet?

IMG_1350.JPG

I got two tons of Spruce Points a few weeks ago. I've burned only half a bag, but it seems they are worth the extra cost. 20 to 30 degrees more heat, less ash, and the stove window is cleaner than with the MWP I've been burning.
They do make the garage smell like wood - not bad!

I got two tons of Spruce Points a few weeks ago. I've burned only half a bag, but it seems they are worth the extra cost. 20 to 30 degrees more heat, less ash, and the stove window is cleaner than with the MWP I've been burning.
They do make the garage smell like wood - not bad!
I called my local dealers and the Spruce point are available now, not Lacrete. But 7.49 a bag no break on a ton. I can get Energex Hards for 299 a ton and they too are rated at 8700 btu. Either is fine with me so guess I'll get the Energex.

I don't think you live on Cape Cod, getting anything shipped here is stupid costly if it's coming from over those bridges. But the DF dealer is local. So how would like to pay nearly as much for an inferior pellet to DF , is it still laughable ? Other than this we go pick things up ourselfves, I can haul 1 ton at a time and use $40 in gas, wear and tear, time etc... Spruce Pointe was a good option for me, as were Lacrete. So far these are not local this year.

Nope. Don't live on cape cod. But comparing actual cost per ton of all brands, not factoring in shipping which is a variable cost, DFs are STILL laughable in cost.

got my North Country in. Looked at the first few bags, and they seem to be loaded with fines on the bottom. Maybe it just seems that way because of the clear bottom packaging.

have you looked at yours yet?
Not yet. I figure I'll go through a ton of the Lacretes first, and then start in on the North Country's. I haven't even removed the outer covering yet.

Nope. Don't live on cape cod. But comparing actual cost per ton of all brands, not factoring in shipping which is a variable cost, DFs are STILL laughable in cost.
You want laughable Phoenix, how about 374 a ton for Spruce Points, that's 7.49 per bag for singles or per ton , delivered or picked up the same price ! That's what I was quoted today.

If its the same price and that's your only option...delivery please. The price one has to pay to live on Cape Cod! A friend of mine owns a summer home there, and also complains about the ability and cost to bring things over and furnish it.

Last edited:
If its the same price and that's your only option...delivery please. The price one has to pay to live on Cape Cod! A friend of mine owns a summer home there, and also complains about the ability and cost to bring things over and furnish it.
Nah, it's not the only choice. I can get Energex hards for $299, LG the same and from a place just over the bridge. A bit more ash than Spruce Pointes, called them today they are in stock. Energex hards are 8500-8700 btu, Spruce Point 8700.. Hmm, the Energex site says Golds are coming, they have half the ash of the Hards or rated at that anyway ( I know that doesn't always work out), and 8700 btu also...

loved the la cretes last year... blew away the barefoots imo clean, hot, full bags

I'm surprised to hear that about Spruce Pointes. While I didn't see any in the early buy period this year, a couple local places started selling them in the early August time frame. I don't think that supply could be from last year, assuming the shortage emptied everyone's inventories?

Regarding La Cretes - As most have said, they are great. I have burned them in small quantities and had great experience with them. Would definitely buy again, no question!

I'm anxiously waiting for my order of three tons of La Cretes. Bought at $279 ton.

I'm anxiously waiting for my order of three tons of La Cretes. Bought at $279 ton.
WOW nice price for LaCrete! I paid $305/ton in July! (didn't have cash for the cash price - but the cash price I saw was $299)

Status
Not open for further replies.