SPX/Security Chimneys pellet vent - any opinions?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

343amc

Feeling the Heat
Nov 23, 2005
West Michigan
Picked up a used Fahrenheit furnace today. It came with some of the venting I'll need, but not all. I have a 4 inch cleanout tee, a 3 inch section that connects the exhaust outlet to the cleanout tee and a few 2 foot sections of 4 inch venting. And a couple 4 inch type B elbows, which I already threw in the trash. It's made by SPX/Security Venting (P/N on the 2 foot sections is 4SPL24), which appears to be a division of Lennox Hearth Products.

Without dragging on, is it worth it to keep what I have and get the remaining pieces I need of the same brand, or should I replace it all with something "better" such as Duravent? I used Selkirk when I installed my insert years back. I'm not opposed to buying all new, but if I can save what I have I'll use the extra money to buy more pellets. :)

I have secutity on my pellet boiler and on a pellet stove. Works fine for me. I did the install and had no problems with leaks. I think the newest version has silicon gaskets so security no longer recommends adding a bead of silicon to the joints. Only problem I have had is not many stove dealers carry Security in my area and I have not found a web source. I understand Security agreed to be purchased by Simpson/duravent at the end of 2012 and Simpson claims it will continue to make security in Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.