Square Ash Shovel..??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyler

Nov 17, 2013
Southwest, Ohio
Have seen where a few guys have ash shovels that are square and hold a lot of ashes. Nothing at all like you would get in a "fireplace" set from Lowe's or Home Depot. Any ideas on where to get one or are they a homemade deal??

I don't have a pic handy but I made a giant shovel designed to empty the ash in one scoop. It is as wide as the opening to the firebox and deep enough to take all the ash in one move. No sense making a smaller one just to scoop it over and over.

Reactions: Tyler
Home brew for all my tools. tried to get the best pic I could of my shovel but it is hidden so the coal sifter is the same dimensions with holes.

Attachments

• tools 005.JPG
    tools 005.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 493
  • tools 002.JPG
    tools 002.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 457
  • coal sifter set.JPG
    coal sifter set.JPG
    310.1 KB · Views: 616
  • coal sifter front.JPG
    coal sifter front.JPG
    256.7 KB · Views: 1,937
Home Depot or lowes in the garden section. They might be on sale now that fall is here.....

Home brew for all my tools. tried to get the best pic I could of my shovel but it is hidden so the coal sifter is the same dimensions with holes.

That's a nice set. I like the the tools. I'm thinking I'm going to have to make something like that in the near future.!

Thanks for the pic. That is a good idea. And a large size lol
Np, 3 scoops from left to right usually does the job for me, I guess it will depend on your size of stove but you got the idea now...

I am really fond of the standard ash scoop. Easier to move coals aside and just scoop ash.

My problem is that I keep asking my ash shovel to do triple-duty, using it as a poker / burning wood manipulator as well. I've only been through two heating seasons and I've already ruined two ash shovels by putting too much stress on them, causing them to fold and kink where the scoop and handle meet. But I just hate the clutter of a full complement of tools hanging around the hearth.

This past spring I bought, secondhand, what seems to be a very practical ash shovel. It's deeper than the typical decorative models, with straight sides, and thicker gauge scoop, heavier rivets but a lighter handle. I wish I knew who made it so I could suggest it to others. I kinda suspect it came out of an Amish hardware store somewhere.

photo(4).JPG

Yea - most of the stuff available is junk that you find in the "kits" but unfortunately most really do not want to spend the $ to get quality tools. A decent blacksmith could create custom stuff that is to specs you choose. My tools all have 28" handles and the shovel is 34" OAL so I can reach deep into the 30NC without sticking my hand in there. That and they will never bend or fall apart. The down side is the cost to make a set and then ship them precludes most from considering it an option.

Yea - most of the stuff available is junk that you find in the "kits" but unfortunately most really do not want to spend the $ to get quality tools. A decent blacksmith could create custom stuff that is to specs you choose. My tools all have 28" handles and the shovel is 34" OAL so I can reach deep into the 30NC without sticking my hand in there. That and they will never bend or fall apart. The down side is the cost to make a set and then ship them precludes most from considering it an option.

Yeah I'm starting to think I'm just going to make something to "fit" my needs, that way it won't fall apart after a season lol.

After looking around. What is the point of an ash sifter? I mean I realize what it does but what is the reason... Just to be able to take the pieces that aren't completely burnt and leave them in there to burn up? That way you can separate out the ash to collect it? Just curious

Tyler - yes, you are right on. During the burning season with the stove running 24/7 it is common to remove ash and keep the hot coals in the stove to start the next fire and not waist fuel. I made the sifter to check it out and actually never use it. I just move coals with the shovel to one side and then the other and shovel around them to lower the ash pile once a week or so. Some really like the sifter but after using mine a couple times I don't find it necessary because you want to leave some ash behind anyway for optimal performance of the stove.

After looking around. What is the point of an ash sifter? I mean I realize what it does but what is the reason... Just to be able to take the pieces that aren't completely burnt and leave them in there to burn up? That way you can separate out the ash to collect it? Just curious

Yup . . . never had the need for one though with my ash pan and decent sized grates. As BU mentioned you want a bit of ash in the base anyways to help "preserve" the coals . . . some folks love 'em and swear by 'em. I never felt the need with my stove though.

To get something good, you got to make it yourself. Here's my shovel and ash pusher.

20140911_202049_zpsd1539bd7.jpg

20140911_202005_zpsfaaddcff.jpg

To get something good, you got to make it yourself. Here's my shovel and ash pusher.

20140911_202049_zpsd1539bd7.jpg

20140911_202005_zpsfaaddcff.jpg

That's what I think I might make. Or cut down a square shovel. Gotta measure my door.

Have seen where a few guys have ash shovels that are square and hold a lot of ashes. Nothing at all like you would get in a "fireplace" set from Lowe's or Home Depot. Any ideas on where to get one or are they a homemade deal??

Any reason you couldn't cut the handle down on a regular flat nose shovel?

Any reason you couldn't cut the handle down on a regular flat nose shovel?

That's what I thought about doing. Since stove will be in Mancave not worried about "pretty factor"

Square nosed and flat are called a coal shovel
From days when coal was shoveled into furnaces and boilers
Might be too much angle so handle may hit top of stove door
Prob just build or modify something would be easiest

Status
Not open for further replies.