Square Bad...Radius...Good

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ejectr

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2009
Brimfield, MA
Both my Enviro Windsor and my Harman PF100 have square corners in the hopper and the pellets hang up against the sides. Did these manufacturers not ever hear of the word radius, as in round so it is more like a chute? I think over the summer, I'm going to modify the square corners with a radius sheet metal insert to cure that hang up problem.

Yep, my englander has a little hangage too. Alot sometimes. Much better w/hopper extension.

You might try using foil furnace tape in the corners as a test. Just stick it on one side, and then drape it across to the other side to form a shallow curve. I did this in my stove and it helps.

Ejectr said:
Both my Enviro Windsor and my Harman PF100 have square corners in the hopper and the pellets hang up against the sides. Did these manufacturers not ever hear of the word radius, as in round so it is more like a chute? I think over the summer, I'm going to modify the square corners with a radius sheet metal insert to cure that hang up problem.

Yeah it's called cutting corners!

It's cheaper to make sharp corners than radius.

Hoverfly said:
Ejectr said:

Indeed you are right on that one. Unfortunately, cheaper doesn't always equate to customer satisfaction. Nothing like waking up to a cold stove and finding that a good hour or more of run time is stuck to the walls like upside down Great Pyramids.

They ought to trade in their metal shear and brake for a nice metal forming machine and make it an elliptical chute instead of square. Then they could save labor on welding and sealing 3 of the corners with silicon. There wouldn't be any corners, just 1 seam.

Wishful thinking...I know.

Hoverfly said:
Ejectr said:

No pun intended I'm sure. Try spraying a dry lubricant like graphite into the hopper.

smwilliamson said:
Hoverfly said:
Ejectr said:

No pun intended I'm sure. Try spraying a dry lubricant like graphite into the hopper.
Thanks Scott. I'll try that. BTW....the PF100 is working well.

Ejectr said:
smwilliamson said:
Hoverfly said:
Ejectr said:

Thanks Scott. I'll try that. BTW....the PF100 is working well.

Hey, good to see you. As dust collects to the corners your slide factor decreases; you'll never rid yourself of all of the dust though. Graphite works great. Hell of a lot better than lifting the unit on one edge and shaking it to get the pellets to fall. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.