velvetfoot Posted By velvetfoot, Jul 13, 2008 at 12:30 PM

1. fbelec

fbelec
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 23, 2005
    Loc:
    northern massachusetts
    just got a look at this at the supply house. this looks like a good one that is rated for most panels out there.

http://www.interlockkit.com/

2. willworkforwood

willworkforwood
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Jan 20, 2009
    Loc:
    Central Ma
    I'm sure these interlock kits work great, if there's enough room in your panel. My 100A panel was too packed to add anything else, so I bought a manual transfer switch from Reliance that's also a subpanel.
    Connected them with a 50A breaker and #6 (short run, side-by-side). . I moved all of the "required" circuts into the new T/S subpanel, and it worked out great. The T/S comes prewired with specific locations on the bus for the main panel feed, and also for the genset feed. A short run of #10 to a watertight 30A inlet box completed the install, and I use a 20' extension cord from the genset to the box. I'm not a pro, but felt comfortable doing this job myself. Cost of the T/S and box was just under $300. The comment on the oven from Fbelec above caught my eye. I didn't put the oven circut into the T/S, figuring it would draw too much. But now I see that it wouldn't be a big deal at all - just don't run everything togeather. Think I'll move it over this Summer (happy Wife happy life).