SquareD Generator Interlock Kit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure these interlock kits work great, if there's enough room in your panel. My 100A panel was too packed to add anything else, so I bought a manual transfer switch from Reliance that's also a subpanel.
Connected them with a 50A breaker and #6 (short run, side-by-side). . I moved all of the "required" circuts into the new T/S subpanel, and it worked out great. The T/S comes prewired with specific locations on the bus for the main panel feed, and also for the genset feed. A short run of #10 to a watertight 30A inlet box completed the install, and I use a 20' extension cord from the genset to the box. I'm not a pro, but felt comfortable doing this job myself. Cost of the T/S and box was just under $300. The comment on the oven from Fbelec above caught my eye. I didn't put the oven circut into the T/S, figuring it would draw too much. But now I see that it wouldn't be a big deal at all - just don't run everything togeather. Think I'll move it over this Summer (happy Wife happy life).

Status
Not open for further replies.