Squeaking noise after motor and auger replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amatuer Adventurist

Dec 2, 2009
western NY
I have an Englander stove that I just replaced the auger and motor and now when it runs every once in a while it starts to squeak or churp. Can it be an alignment problem with the auger? Does anyone any ideas on what the noise could be? Is it dangerous to run the stove with that noise?

Sounds like it could be a minor alignment issue. Did you bolt the auger to the motor assembly or was it already done? Englander recommends tightening these bolts in a diagonal pattern.

"When placing the auger assemblies in the unit, always tighten the four bolts in a diagonal pattern to ensure the bearings and shafts are aligned properly."

If that is not the issue, give Englander tech support a call.

Just a thought....you didn't by any chance change pellet brands just as you installed the auger? I have a few brands that make some screeching/squeaking noises as they go through the auger.

Also, might want to think about trying the Englander "Replacing Your Auger Motors and/or Aligning Your Augers" guide:

www.englanderstoves.com/manuals/ReplacingAndAligningAugers.pdf

imacman said:
Just a thought....you didn't by any chance change pellet brands just as you installed the auger? I have a few brands that make some screeching/squeaking noises as they go through the auger.

Also, might want to think about trying the Englander "Replacing Your Auger Motors and/or Aligning Your Augers" guide:

You have a top feed system I think the OP is double auger...may not be relevant. Unless you have taken that into account.

smwilliamson said:
imacman said:

You have a top feed system I think the OP is double auger...may not be relevant. Unless you have taken that into account.

It apply's to both systems, AFAIK.

Sometimes that squeak can be a built up of carbon around the auger's housings rim. I clean mine every two days but still get the occasion squeal.

imacman said:
smwilliamson said:
imacman said:

It apply's to both systems, AFAIK.

The top feed augers are self aligning whereas the double auger systems are floating. The floating augers need to be aligned. To align, loosen all four bolts and then tighten "finger tight". Lift on the pivot bearing plate as hard as you can and give the top left bolt a 1/4 turn with a wrench. Spin the auger, if it moves freely, tighten the top right, then left bottom then right bottom. Before connecting motor, the auger should spin freely around by hand. If not, remove the auger and look for carbon build ups on the front 2 inches of the tube and auger itself, remove if needed. Repeat. Sometimes you have to go back and fourth. To note, this concerns the lower auger mostly. If the top auger is having trouble spinning you may have a woody obstruction in the drop chute at the fore of the auger tube or in the chute itself. goodluck.

Status
Not open for further replies.