Squeaking St. Croix

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenlmas

Jun 22, 2008
Medway, MA
My St. Croix Hastings has been making a metal-on-metal squealing noise for the last few days. I emptied out the hopper a stuck a strong shop-vac at the start of the auger and tried to clean out as much dust/fines as possible. I geve the rest of the stove a pretty thorough cleaning as well. With the hopper empty, and the stove cold, I let the auger spin and I didn't hear any noise. I lit the fire back up and I'm still hearing the squeaking, which is leading me to think the noise is coming from the versa grate and not the Auger. The noise is happening about every 60 seconds. I'm running it on 2.

Any suggestions? Is there a way to lubricate the versa grate?

Thanks,
Steve

I found my manual and figured out hot to get at the versa-grate cams. It wasn't as scary as I thought it would be. Some anti-seize on the cams seems to have done the trick. Now I just need to find 15 bags of pellets to get me to tax day, then the stove is going off.

I also had to lube the versa cam and the rod in front where it it is suported ,no more squeak.
Al

Status
Not open for further replies.