squeaky door

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

4 cords

Aug 31, 2008
central ct
anybody know of a good oil to put on the hinges of my quad 4300 step top , when I load it the whole house knows it. Just wonder if the heat will make a burn smell . thanks

graphite powder seems to work well and won't evaporate / burn off like many oils.

The graphite has worked well for me so I haven't bothered trying anything else. If I were to, I think I'd try something along the lines of this since I have it in the garage:

31A5GZ31PDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
51ZXr--+YEL.jpg

These are the lubricants used for brake jobs and can withstand up to 600 degree heat.

pen

The graphite works well and lasts a long time between applications. I put some on a stove door a year ago and it is still working. I found the $3 can of spray graphite at Lowe's. It will last me about a century.

thanks will pick some up, going to lumberyard next day or 2

^^ Graphite powder. Pull the hinge pins and wipe clean, apply powder, reassemble. Or, you can try squirting it into the hinge at the top of the pin, and then working the door back and forth a bunch to encourage it to migrate down into the hinge. Use some paper towels or something to catch the graphite powder that drops. Don't wipe it...it makes a mess. If you have stray powder where you don't want it, vacuum it up. Rick

Graphite powder . . . works better than magical pixie dust!

Status
Not open for further replies.