Squeaky Harman Stoves- Accentra 2008

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kkt101

Jan 13, 2017
NY
That squeak is really annoying. Cranking it up high has often helped, but I'm curious whether anyone's had luck using a creo spray on the pellets. We've had the auger replaced a few years back and I know Harman is known for their 'squeaks' but really.... how long can one tolerate this. We cleaned it yesterday and don't have the knowledge to take much of it apart. Any suggestions?

That squeak is really annoying. Cranking it up high has often helped, but I'm curious whether anyone's had luck using a creo spray on the pellets. We've had the auger replaced a few years back and I know Harman is known for their 'squeaks' but really.... how long can one tolerate this. We cleaned it yesterday and don't have the knowledge to take much of it apart. Any suggestions?
......oh, and let me say we burn a very high quality pellet. Now, I just watched a video on how to clean this monster and frankly its a bit intimidating.

The squeak comes and goes on mine. I've never tried any kind of spray. What stops it for me is running the stove really hot for a few hours, e.g., thermostat at 90 and distribution blower at high to burn off the creosote that may have collected in the auger tube.

Here's what I did to my Accentra insert 4 years ago and the squeak never came back:

-Shut down stove and allow to cool by letting it completely run out of pellets
-Clean out firebox and burnpot of all ash and embers
-Spray WD-40 liberally around the mouth of the auger tube right where the tip of the auger rotates
-Use a small wire brush to scrape/chip away carbon from the area
-Place a handful of pellets in a cup and spray them liberally with WD-40
-Put those pellets in the hopper and run them thru the auger tube using the test mode setting and discard
-You may have to help the pellets along to get them to drop down past the slide gate. Don't use your hand! I used a paint brush to push them.
-Depending on how dirty those pellets look, repeat the run thru process with another cup of pellets
-Wipe any WD-40 residue from the mouth of the auger tube and "air-out" the stove with the door open until there are no fumes from the WD-40
-Fire it up and enjoy your quiet stove

Yes, I realize that WD-40 is flammable so do this at your own risk.

Reactions: jackman
Try getting some dry graphite and feed the stove some pellets treated with it when its nearly empty. A quart of the stuff at a farm store or John Deere equipment dealer is around $10. This was a recommended treatment by another stove-furnace manufacture.
A couple tablespoons to a cup of so pellets or a squirt on the last pellets near empty hopper.
Whenever I remove a auger I now paint with graphite paint and some stoves the hopper interior too.

Reactions: bioheat
Try getting some dry graphite and feed the stove some pellets treated with it when its nearly empty. A quart of the stuff at a farm store or John Deere equipment dealer is around $10. This was a recommended treatment by another stove-furnace manufacture.
A couple tablespoons to a cup of so pellets or a squirt on the last pellets near empty hopper.
Whenever I remove a auger I now paint with graphite paint and some stoves the hopper interior too.
thats what i do as well works great

My PC45 will squeak if carbon builds up around opening of auger tube and rubs on auger. Scraping it away with a screwdriver fixes it in my case. Maybe someday I'll try the graphite trick if i come across it in the store.

I had one pellet brand that would make the works carbon and was glad it was gone. Was the first ton I burnt in the Harman and was hoping that it was not going to continue. It was the first year that they made Indeck I think and they were not a very good pellet. A ok pellet now if they could just get the price down.