squeaky hinge idea

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have graphite powder but couldn't seem to get it into the top hinge. Then cooking supper the other day a bright light came on as I was spraying the pan for baking. I thought - cooking spray - no stick - high temperature. So since it's this wonderful time of 40 degrees one day 60 the next, I took advantage of the down time a sprayed a little of the canola oil cooking spray into the top hinge - it worked great. Just smelled like we were baking for the first few hours of the next burn.

On another topic (holidays been busy so haven't been on and don't want to start a second thread).

A few days ago I had just reloaded the stove and was watching it for about 5 minutes and kept smelling a weird smell I never smelled before. Kept looking for the source but didn't find anything. Few minutes later I went to take off my coat and noticed smoke, apparently when I bent over to pick up some wood to toss in a spark must have landed inside my hood, now I have a hole in my hood but at least I didn't get burned and found out what the smell was.

Good catch on the hood.

Next time you get the squeak, try driving the pin up so you can lube it better.

Matt

Get some motorcycle chain lube with teflon. It comes with a straw for precise application under pressure. It also delivers the oil with a vehicle so it comes out thin and evaporates off. Use a bit of kleenex at the end of the straw to catch overspray. A little shot on the hinges and on the latch once a month and you're golden.

I have to warn my wife when I oil the hinge cuz the door swings so effortlessly that she might use too much force and have it swing into her forearm unexpectedly resulting in a burn. She has never been known to open it gently, ever... just flings it open. [rant]Ashes and smoke sucked out by the vortex... [/rant]

n3pro said:
... Few minutes later I went to take off my coat and noticed smoke, apparently when I bent over to pick up some wood to toss in a spark must have landed inside my hood, now I have a hole in my hood but at least I didn't get burned and found out what the smell was.

Wow - what are the chances?!?! I guess even a 1-in-a-million shot would happen to 300+ people in the US alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.