Squeaky Side Door

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mayhem

Minister of Fire
May 8, 2007
Saugerties, NY
So what does everyone do with squeaky doors and latches on their stoves? Logic initially suggests that you would probably want to oil it up, but then I;'m reminded that this thig spends alot of its life hovering around 500 degrees surface temperature, which is enough to start that oil smouldering and probably poison my family.

Just trying to quiet down the late night/early morning feedings a bit so as to not disturb the family.

I was thinking about some sort of hinge lube, anti-seize lube is rated for temps to 1,800*F, anyone try it?

Anyone have hinges wear out resulting in door sag?

Never-seize, works like a charm too.
I put it on at the beginning of each season.
Mayhem, I took the door right off ,gooped up the pins real good and wiped off the excess. Now I have to do the same with the air control, that started squeaking too.

Exactly the info I was looking for, thanks.

Now I'm off to the hardware store to get some for my next cycle of cooloff/cleaning.

I have used high temp bearing grease, the black stuff, on the actual contact point of the latch. Ive also used 90 weight gear oil when I needed the lube to pour into the internals of a latch mechanism. The oil will thin out as it heats and excess will drip off the latch, very minor aroma during the cure period of the lube but after that it is like new and the squeak stays gone.

Antiseize is messy so try and be clean with it. I think the antiseize would work well in a paste application.

Highbeam said:
I have used high temp bearing grease, the black stuff, on the actual contact point of the latch. Ive also used 90 weight gear oil when I needed the lube to pour into the internals of a latch mechanism. The oil will thin out as it heats and excess will drip off the latch, very minor aroma during the cure period of the lube but after that it is like new and the squeak stays gone.

Antiseize is messy so try and be clean with it. I think the antiseize would work well in a paste application.

The part I'm trying to lube up is actually the mechanism of the latch itself. The latch pin sliding against the inside of the stove door does not make any significant noise, its the actual turning of the latch...it squaks even when the door is open and I turn the handle. I have yet to examine the mechanism for disassembly, but its probably pretty straightforward...single screw and a notched or cam shaped center pin that the latch attaches to I would guess. I probably need to get the thing apaert, clean it (had some sooty, poorly seasosned fires this year) and get some grease in there. The gear oil might be the best option since it'll work its way in there.

I second the graphite.... especially if its a squeaky latch mechanism where you might not be able to get the lube where you need it without taking it apart. The powdered stuff usually comes in a little tube that you can squeeze and it will blow the powder into the assembly.... try a hardware store with a lock shop... they should have it - they generally use it to lubricate the lock mechanism by squirting it into the keyhole.

+1 for the graphite. i use it on a few things i dont want oily.
get it in the HDepot or anywhere they sell locks. (htink its by the tool coral in the Hdepot)
comes in a little toothpaste tube thingy

Status
Not open for further replies.