1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Squire model number 50500

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by tomangie89, Jan 3, 2012.

1. tomangie89

tomangie89 New Member

Loc:
    Cincinnati, ohio
    I have a Squire 50500 in my fireplace. Got it for $75.00 from a burned down house. "no the insert didnt cause the fire". I installed it in my own fireplace about 10 years ago. I have a perfectly good 10" square chimney. I put an 8" flu liner straight up through it. Welded all the seams and attached it directly to the collar on the top of the insert. I seen a post from someone back in june of 2008. I read through the whole thing and noticed someone had mentioned an aftermarket catalytic retro fit burner. Is there one of these available? I'm getting tired of cleaning my flu 4 times a year. I use this insert 24/7 durring the winter. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
  3. mellow

mellow Resident Stove Connoisseur

Loc:
    Salisbury, MD
    Good luck, I tried contacting everyone and their grandmother to get the cat retrofit and got nowhere. If you are going to do this you are going to have to fab something up on your own. I decided it was easier to just upgrade to a newer insert.
  4. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    And that was a good choice indeed.
  5. mellow

mellow Resident Stove Connoisseur

Loc:
    Salisbury, MD

Attached Files:

6. tomangie89

tomangie89 New Member

Loc:
    Cincinnati, ohio
    Thanks for your input. I had checked Nu-tec and had little luck there. Since I have prefabbed everything I need to clean the flu I'll stick with that for a while. I'll keep my eyes open for a newer insert.