Squire stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ottiev

Oct 26, 2008
Jasper, IN
I have a Squire fireplace in my basement. It works great until I turn on the fan or it kicks on automatically. When the fan is on it blows smoke throughout the basement. Does anybody have any idea what might be causing this and how I can fix it?

thanks

Ottie

Well, first thing is that the unit is probably not installed up to modern standards. It is likely that it is slipped into the fireplace - and the smoke it not deposited up through the damper, but rather just waffs out the top rectangle.

There are two possible causes of the smoke.
1. The fan creates a negative pressure and sucks the smoke out of the fireplace opening.
2. The unit has holes or cracks in the firebox and therefore smoke is getting into the air chamber.

#1 is more likely. It can be solved by buying a boot or adapter and installing a piece of pipe (usually ss flex pipe made oval) up through the damper a few feet - and then installing a block off plate.

Status
Not open for further replies.