Squirrel's nest in my stacks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tfdchief

Minister of Fire
Nov 24, 2009
Tuscola, IL
myplace.frontier.com
Until now, I have never seen a squirrel nest so low to the ground. All summer, I have watched a grey squirrel pop out from under the top cover on one of these stacks. It has driven my dog Oggie nuts. Until today, when I was moving that particular stack to the wood shed for the winter, I didn't know what he was doing in the wood stack. Well, he had a nice cozy nest, all lined with soft grass. I sure hope he wasn't planning on it for the winter.....I felt kind of bad. I just have never seen a squirrel nest that close to the ground.....5 feet to the top of the stack.

Attachments

• Stacks.jpg
    Stacks.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 825
  • Oggie.jpg
    Oggie.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 711
I get chipmunk(??) and mouse nests all the time, but never a squirrel nest. My stacks aren't under a big tree like your are, so maybe they aren't as atractive to quirrels as your stacks. I have had squirrels take over bird houses around 5 or 6 feet off the ground, but those were on a tree.

Wood Duck said:
I get chipmunk(??) and mouse nests all the time, but never a squirrel nest. My stacks aren't under a big tree like your are, so maybe they aren't as atractive to quirrels as your stacks. I have had squirrels take over bird houses around 5 or 6 feet off the ground, but those were on a tree.
WoodDuck, I don't have chipmunks here but always have mice nesting in the stacks, but this is the first time for a squirrel, and since those big trees are red oaks, I have tons of squirrels.

tfdchief said:
. . . today, when I was moving that particular stack to the wood shed for the winter . . .

My, this is exciting news!

I am more surprised at the dog and geese getting along so fabulously!

snowleopard said:
tfdchief said:
. . . today, when I was moving that particular stack to the wood shed for the winter . . .

snowleopard, Well, if you mean what I think you do, I was really only supervising, and occasionally handling one small split at a time from the wagon. My son came to do the heavy work. I am waiting on a call from the doctor with the results of the last X-ray, and hope that he will let me start doing a little more. I feel like I could. I still hurt but I have learned to live with that. Anyway, thanks for the thoughts. I am going to burn wood this winter if I have to handle one split at a time!

tfdchief said:
Until now, I have never seen a squirrel nest so low to the ground. All summer, I have watched a grey squirrel pop out from under the top cover on one of these stacks. It has driven my dog Oggie nuts. Until today, when I was moving that particular stack to the wood shed for the winter, I didn't know what he was doing in the wood stack. Well, he had a nice cozy nest, all lined with soft grass. I sure hope he wasn't planning on it for the winter.....I felt kind of bad. I just have never seen a squirrel nest that close to the ground.....5 feet to the top of the stack.

That squirrel must have been 'low squirrel on the totem pole'. No tree house for him

Couple summers ago I had a whole slew of red squirrels take up residence in my wood shed. (in between the splits) It became very irritating because they littered the spaces between splits with walnut shells and grass clippings. Took out every one of them over the summer with the pellet gun. Lots of grey squirrels around too but they stay out of the shed and will only walk across the stacks out in the open. I think it's the smaller size of the reds that let's them get into things, I've had them in cars, buildings, etc, they can be very destructive.

snowleopard said:
tfdchief said:

That's what I was thinking. Actually, I was thinking that you better not go and mess yourself up doing too much too soon. Good to hear that you are out and at least watching the work outside.

I have all kinds of critters in my stacks. I guess, better in there than in the house.

Well the stacks look so nice, seems like a good place to call home for them.
Will give the dog some exercise.
Better there than in the attic!!
Nice pics

Better a squirrel nest than hornets! Take it easy chief, baby steps until the doc says it's ok to take bigger ones.

I get red squirrells something terrible,trying to eliminate them now but slow going,usually need to get rid of a dozen every year just to keep them under control

Oggie..........what a great name for a pup

I get tons of nests in my stacks but Im not sure if they're mice, chipmunks or squirrels. Maybe all three.

Glad ya clarified Chief. I was about to get on your case if you were moving wood. We want ya around here for a long time.

just saw Alvin and his friends climbing around my stacks as I was coming in from the outdoor shower.........cute little buggers, rather see them than the skunks that were living under my back porch this past spring - I think they have cleared out

My Holze Hauzen appears to be a squirrel hotel based on the activity I watch. Gonna be interesting when the time comes for burning down the house!

We get tons of chipmunks and deer mice - but never a squirrel. That squirrel took the easy route. I love that picture of oggie. I bet he has a blast trying to get that squirrel! What fun!

My chocolate lab "Shelby" chases the chipmunks - but they're too fast. She gets all the snakes easily!

I've got to be careful moving my stacks in - because I noticed a swarm of black hornets on the stacks when I tarped them first part of September. I hope I don't get into a big nest - but we'll see.

Take care of yourself !

Flatbedford said:
snowleopard said:
tfdchief said:

That's what I was thinking. Actually, I was thinking that you better not go and mess yourself up doing too much too soon. Good to hear that you are out and at least watching the work outside.

I have all kinds of critters in my stacks. I guess, better in there than in the house.

BeGreen said:
Take it easy chief, baby steps until the doc says it's ok to take bigger ones.

BrotherBart said:
Glad ya clarified Chief. I was about to get on your case if you were moving wood. We want ya around here for a long time.

Well, I was afraid that might solicit some comments :) Really, I am trying to behave but its tough. Thanks for looking out for me and caring. I am hoping for some news from my doctor this week. He is supposed to review my latest x-rays and call me. Hoping he lets start doing a little.

krex1010 said:
Oggie..........what a great name for a pup
She came from St. Joe Ogden, IL. Just seemed to fit.

3fordasho said:
Couple summers ago I had a whole slew of red squirrels take up residence in my wood shed.
These are all grey squirrels.

My cats keep all the critters down in my pile, but yesterday while I was splitting a log with a tiny knot hole in the end a mouse popped out as the log split in half! I guess I was chopping it's house in half (the cat got that mouse too!)

PastorMatt said:
My cats keep all the critters down in my pile, but yesterday while I was splitting a log with a tiny knot hole in the end a mouse popped out as the log split in half! I guess I was chopping it's house in half (the cat got that mouse too!)

Same here . . . four cats mean virtually no mice, chipmunks, moles or other small critters . . . I'm happy to say it's been a while since they've brought home a bird which is good since I like birds . . . but sad to report there was a mass muder last week as I found three dead chippers . . . heck, my black cat thinks she is a panther and I've caught her chasing gray squirrels which are the same size as her and even turkeys which are much larger than her.

firefighterjake said:
PastorMatt said:

Same here . . . four cats mean virtually no mice, chipmunks, moles or other small critters . . . I'm happy to say it's been a while since they've brought home a bird which is good since I like birds . . . but sad to report there was a mass muder last week as I found three dead chippers . . . heck, my black cat thinks she is a panther and I've caught her chasing gray squirrels which are the same size as her and even turkeys which are much larger than her.

Two years ago one of my kittens was stalking a big tom in our backyard. It probably had the kitten by 15+ pounds, so it's good the kitten held back on that one!

I thought Oggie was just a variant spelling of Augie. Anyone else remember Augie Doggie and Doggie Daddy? Quick Draw McGraw?

Thanks for a quicke trip down Memory Lane.

Nancy

My neighbourhood has a very dense squirrel population, they are always trying to make a new nest somewhere. We store our kayaks under the extended roof on one side of my shop, and last fall one started using our kayaks for storing walnuts and pinecones. We chased him (maybe her) out of there and collected about 10 gallons of walnuts. The next day while I was outside sorting the walnuts he stood on the bow of one of the kayaks and gave me a severe scolding. Within another day or two he started to build a new nest in the covered area under the eaves on the opposite side of my shop where I keep my ladders and scaffold planks. I chased him out of there before he could get too comfortable, he then moved on to my woodshed. I kind of felt sorry for stealing all his walnuts out of the kayaks that he’d worked so hard to collect, so I left him alone in the woodshed for a while. After about a week or two I noticed he must have stacked 2 pinecones for every chunk of firewood I had in there, so I said enough was enough and got my son to un-stack the wood down to his nest. About half way down (about the 4 ft level) we found his little round ball of a nest, made of grass clippings. Now here’s the funny part, inside the nest he had a companion,,,,,, it was a small stuffed bunny rabbit. It wasn’t part of the nesting material, it was in the hollowed out area right inside the nest where the squirrel slept. Well we all had a good laugh and set the little bunny on the chopping block next to the wood pile. The rest of the nesting material and the pinecones we tossed into a pile that I intended to burn. We then head out for that day for some wood cutting and came back about 4 hours later. Low and behold, when we returned, the bunny was gone. The little bugger had taken the bunny right away to wherever he decided to start building his new nest, which I’m pretty sure was in the attic of the neighbour’s house.
I like having the squirrels around and couldn’t bring myself to kill them even if they are a little messy. Packrats or mice are another matter, I kill them first chance I get.

Carbon_Liberator said:
My neighbourhood has a very dense squirrel population, they are always trying to make a new nest somewhere. We store our kayaks under the extended roof on one side of my shop, and last fall one started using our kayaks for storing walnuts and pinecones. We chased him (maybe her) out of there and collected about 10 gallons of walnuts. The next day while I was outside sorting the walnuts he stood on the bow of one of the kayaks and gave me a severe scolding. Within another day or two he started to build a new nest in the covered area under the eaves on the opposite side of my shop where I keep my ladders and scaffold planks. I chased him out of there before he could get too comfortable, he then moved on to my woodshed. I kind of felt sorry for stealing all his walnuts out of the kayaks that he’d worked so hard to collect, so I left him alone in the woodshed for a while. After about a week or two I noticed he must have stacked 2 pinecones for every chunk of firewood I had in there, so I said enough was enough and got my son to un-stack the wood down to his nest. About half way down (about the 4 ft level) we found his little round ball of a nest, made of grass clippings. Now here’s the funny part, inside the nest he had a companion,,,,,, it was a small stuffed bunny rabbit. It wasn’t part of the nesting material, it was in the hollowed out area right inside the nest where the squirrel slept. Well we all had a good laugh and set the little bunny on the chopping block next to the wood pile. The rest of the nesting material and the pinecones we tossed into a pile that I intended to burn. We then head out for that day for some wood cutting and came back about 4 hours later. Low and behold, when we returned, the bunny was gone. The little bugger had taken the bunny right away to wherever he decided to start building his new nest, which I’m pretty sure was in the attic of the neighbour’s house.
I like having the squirrels around and couldn’t bring myself to kill them even if they are a little messy. Packrats or mice are another matter, I kill them first chance I get.

Your making that squirrel work for his winter home this year :lol:

I usually let them be unless they're in the wood pile since Im just going to disrupt him in the middle of winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.