SS chimney liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muncybob

Minister of Fire
Apr 8, 2008
Near Williamsport, PA
Well, I thought a ss liner with one contractor was the same as with another. But, when the estimates were so far apart from each other I began asking questions. Turns out the higher estimate was an insulated stainless liner while the other was some sort of stainless liner that apparently comes in a 12' length and expands like an accordian. The latter was definately not insulated and was going to be put inside of the existing terracotta flu. My question is how important is it to go with the insulated liner (is installed after the terracotta is removed) if this flu is to be connected to a non gasifier wood boiler? Would it be safe to go with the cheaper one?

Flex type liners would not be on the agenda in my humble opinion. I'd have to chaeck my code book to see if their even legal for use with solid fuel. I wouldn't make a judgement without looking at your chimney to see if it was suitable for use with an uninsulated liner. There are times when you have to check with a professional, at least for an opinion and this is one of them.

If your current flu is big enough, I'd get a solid (not accordian) liner that was un-insulated... Obviously, your existing flu can handle heat, so just put the stainless liner in there to seal it up good......

This is what I thought of doing to fix our chimney for use with our indoor wood stove..... I then found out that our chimney wasn't even big enough for the stove in the first place, which is when I changed direction and started my outdoor boiler project........

At one point , looking at the same accordion vs solid ss steel for a flue liner, i though i saw a batch mixed pourable lightweight insulation. this was done from the top, after installing a temporary inflatable donut at the top of the smoke chamber,good luck

My thoughts and what I've learned from reading threads on Hearth.com- If it's an inside chimney you do not need to insulate the liner, if it's an outside chimney you do need an insulated liner. Straight stainless pipe by heatfab or duravent is recommended over flex pipe liner. The flex liner will collect more creosote, but may be necessary because of bends in your chimney. Heatfab or duravent will supply you with the straight lengths you need, tees, elbows 90s and different sizes 12" 18" 24" 48" of straight pipe. The 304 SS is for wood only, the 316 is for other fuels, oil, coal. You can buy insulated straight pipe or un - insulated straight pipe. Pouring insulation around a liner pipe may work for your outside application. My application is new construction. My mason built an inside the building, 12X12 flue tile chimney in brick for me. I then decided to purchase a Tarm solo 40 to heat my radiant heat in slab. The chimney was to big for the tarm, they recommend 6" pipe. I also wanted to install a jotul 118B on my 2nd floor and the only NFPA code way was to reline the chimney with 6" SS and 5" SS. I hope this helps someone. sweetheat

Status
Not open for further replies.