ss fabricated chimneys

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stove man

Dec 9, 2007
upstate ny
I am curious about the material of stainless in chimneys of the big box stores vs the distributors/dealersbrands. In some cases the brands are the same ie; Simpson Duravent. I am lead to believe the product in the big box stores is not of the same materials such as thickness. One distributor claims they offer 25% thicker stainless. I tried to find out the detailed specifications but this is apparently a guarded secret. Any knowing details is appreciated. Thanks

I know that Super Vent sold at Lowes and SuperPro sold at the stove shops. Are both made by Selkirk (Metalsbestose). I was told that they are interchangeable and that the only differance was that the SuperPro had a duller finish so that it didn't "stand out" so much on your home. However I have a section of the duller SuperPro and many sections of the Supervent. Besides the finish (shine) the Supervent is slightly magnetic and the Superpro is not magnetic. This leaves me to belive it is a higher grade of stainless. At twice the price it should be.

James

According to one manufacturer here in an earlier post, it is identical to certain brands sold elsewhere. That makes sense to me, since it would cost a vast amount of money for a company to produce and test a cheaper chimney.

That said, certain brands such as Excel are not sold in box stores - and may have features not found in other brands.

As far as interior thickness, this counts for less than you might think. As a for-instance, many chimney liners (for masonry chimneys) are 1/4 or less the thickness of the interior class A walls, and still pass all UL tests and have long warranties. So checking the pipe with a micrometer may not be a important shopping point.

Status
Not open for further replies.