SS Flex liner make noise sometimes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

paulgp602

Jan 7, 2006
For those of you with flex liners, do you notice that sometimes the liner makes dull "thud" sound? I noticed today (really cold out) that I hear 1 dull bang/thud from in the chimney. The stove has been going all weekend. I have a brick chimney with clay flue with the SS liner inside that. My stove store said that this is normal as the flex liner tends to expand when heated and cooled. What do you guys think?

I described a similar situation in a thread a while ago. My liner is rigid, but with about a 5 foot piece of flex for a connector and to route up past the ash shelf. I don't know if my noise is the liner, or the outer shroud on my insert.
First few times it happened I just about jumped out of my chair. Seems to happen when I have a good long hot burn, and then let things cool off.
A muffled bang or whump sound?

Willhound

Yes, that describes it, a muffled bang. Im sure its ok, I mean even if the flex liner came off the stove connector (it is screwed on but still...) it is still a clay flue with brick chimney fireplace, which was designed for fires anyway... Thanks for the reply.

Yes, there is a block off plate- I forgot about that! The installers screwed the liner to the elbow, then the elbow to the stove. My stove had pre drilled holes to attach the flange to the stove with these 3 metal ear type pieces.

My install sounds just like Willhounds. I have a piece of about 5' flex liner that connects my insert to my solid SS liner (since m chimney has an offset) that was installed in a masonary chimney inside my house. Mine doesn't make noise, until yesterday when I lit a fire I heard something clink down the solid liner, then work its way down the flex pipe, and it must be on top of my baffle now. I wonder what it is/was? Maybe a flaky piece of creosote (or ice!?). I hope it wasn't Santa (just joking). But, that thing falling down caused concerns with my wife and I.

Probably just a chunk of creosote. Or maybe a meteorite.

My old ss flex liner inside an unlined masonry chimney used to sound like rain on a sheet metal roof when it got good and hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.