1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

SS Flex liner make noise sometimes

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by paulgp602, Jan 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulgp602

paulgp602 Member

For those of you with flex liners, do you notice that sometimes the liner makes dull "thud" sound? I noticed today (really cold out) that I hear 1 dull bang/thud from in the chimney. The stove has been going all weekend. I have a brick chimney with clay flue with the SS liner inside that. My stove store said that this is normal as the flex liner tends to expand when heated and cooled. What do you guys think?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Willhound

Willhound Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northern Ontario, Canada
    I described a similar situation in a thread a while ago. My liner is rigid, but with about a 5 foot piece of flex for a connector and to route up past the ash shelf. I don't know if my noise is the liner, or the outer shroud on my insert.
    First few times it happened I just about jumped out of my chair. Seems to happen when I have a good long hot burn, and then let things cool off.
    A muffled bang or whump sound?

Willhound
  3. paulgp602

paulgp602 Member

Yes, that describes it, a muffled bang. Im sure its ok, I mean even if the flex liner came off the stove connector (it is screwed on but still...) it is still a clay flue with brick chimney fireplace, which was designed for fires anyway... Thanks for the reply.
  4. Willhound

Willhound Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northern Ontario, Canada
    Yeah, but is there not a flashing or block off plate at the top of the chimney? If your connector pops off I think you'd know it pretty quick by the smoke backing up into the room.
  5. paulgp602

paulgp602 Member

Yes, there is a block off plate- I forgot about that! The installers screwed the liner to the elbow, then the elbow to the stove. My stove had pre drilled holes to attach the flange to the stove with these 3 metal ear type pieces.
  6. Rhone

Rhone Minister of Fire

My install sounds just like Willhounds. I have a piece of about 5' flex liner that connects my insert to my solid SS liner (since m chimney has an offset) that was installed in a masonary chimney inside my house. Mine doesn't make noise, until yesterday when I lit a fire I heard something clink down the solid liner, then work its way down the flex pipe, and it must be on top of my baffle now. I wonder what it is/was? Maybe a flaky piece of creosote (or ice!?). I hope it wasn't Santa (just joking). But, that thing falling down caused concerns with my wife and I.
  7. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    Probably just a chunk of creosote. Or maybe a meteorite.

My old ss flex liner inside an unlined masonry chimney used to sound like rain on a sheet metal roof when it got good and hot.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.