SS Flue Pipe Sources?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleClutch

Jan 23, 2007
Virginia coast
I have an old farmhouse with 2 chimneys. One chimney has a 6" diameter single-wall SS liner, and we have a VC Intrepid II stove that exhausts through that. Since the stove is on the first floor, and the chimney is perhaps 35' tall, it draws very well.

The stove and flue were already installed when I bought the house. From what I can tell, the flue is a single-wall uninsulated SS pipe, possibly with vermiculite or something poured down to insulate the pipe from the sand-lime-mortared bricks of the original chimney. (The house is about 115 yrs old, but I believe the woodstove and SS flue are mid-1980s vintage.)

I'm thinking that I would like to use the other chimney, by installing another stove in my office. What I'm thinking of doing is moving the Intrepid to my office, and then installing a VC Defiant (non-cat) in the living room where the Intrepid currently is.

What I would like to know is:

1. How is the best way to set up the flue for a stove in my office? The chimney is brick, with sand-lime mortar, so it definitely needs to be lined. Would single-wall non-flexible SS flue pipe be appropriate (the chimney is maybe 35' tall, a straight shot up), either with or without vermiculite or some other insulation between the single-wall SS pipe and the existing brick-sand-lime-mortar masonry?

2. Does anyone know of any reasonable sources for SS flue pipe? I've looked at the other chimney when I've cleaned it, and it appears to be composed of several lengths of non-flexible SS pipe, screwed together with sheet metal screws as it was fed down the chimney -- so that's what I would probably use for the other chimney, as well, as long as it's appropriate and up to code.

3. Can anyone refer me to any websites or books that go into these flue pipe issues in detail for the do-it-yourselfer? (I already have the info I need on hearth specs, minimum clearances, heat shields, etc. --- what I'm mainly concerned about here is the flue.)

Sorry for the long post and thanks for any advice.

You can buy solid ss vent pipe and screw them together or a flexible ss liner. both will need to be insulated. Different manufactures have different insulation requirements and products brand specific. Check you local wood stove store for brands in your area then look up the instillation instructions on line. Stove shops on line also have manuals on line. One guy here is http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/ west coast though.

Status
Not open for further replies.