SS Liner in a prefab/wooden chase chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sabreracer

Dec 5, 2005
I looked through the q/a section, and searched the forum, but I haven't seen exactly what I am looking for. I am installing a SS liner into the chimney where my prefab/double wall flue is/was. I pulled out the prefab, removed all the wooden framing, and then had my uncle, a mason come over, and we laid one course of block, and firebrick to bring everything up to code. I have purchased a 7" liner and heat wrap(1") to go inside my existing 12"outer/8"inner double wall setup, as specified by my local chimney sweep. Question is, at the top of the chimney, i know i want to block off the space between the 7"and 8". On a masonry chimney, you would just fill it with cement or whatever they suggest. For this setup, should I just use the fire wrap and stuff it between the two pipes? I know it needs to be sealed off, I'm just not sure if I should use the high temp wrap or not. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Travis

Status
Not open for further replies.