SS liner installation question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hammmitc

Dec 1, 2007
Perkiomenville, PA
doing the finishing touches on my liner install does anyone use high temp silicone to seal all of their connections (to the stove, top plate, etc.), or do you just use SS sheet metal screws?

Hi -

I asked when I did my install. No sealer, just screw, or much better than that you could use stainless Pop rivets if it isn't a join that needs to come apart again.

ATB,
Mike P

hammmitc said:
doing the finishing touches on my liner install does anyone use high temp silicone to seal all of their connections (to the stove, top plate, etc.), or do you just use SS sheet metal screws?

I used the high temp. stuff on the liner/stove connection and at the top plate as well. The rain cap actually holds the top plate down on the high temp. stuff creating a good seal. Well, for my install anyway..

No more wet chimney smell during and after it rains.. :)

The actual joints of the wood pipe you should NOT use silicone sealant as it will not withstand the potential temperatures. If you want to seal it use stove / furnace cement. Or you can just use SS screw to hold it together. Creosote will clog up small gaps and seal it after a few fires. Anything not actually touching the pipe you can use silicone to seal things like the block-off plate and top plate.

Status
Not open for further replies.